vin numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vin numbers

Should the vin number on the sticker on my bike match the serial number that's stamped on my engine? 'Cause it doesn't on my bike. If they're supposed to match how would I go about verifying that I at least have an 1100 engine for my bike? Is there a database that I can look up the engine serial number?

I hope I don't sound like I'm babbling.

I don't have ADD
    I am perfectly focu....

OH Shiny!!
    If you don't own a fire extinguisher, do me a personal favor and go purchase one... immediately.

1980 MNS

I'd bet that the engine and frame # matched from the factory but I can't say for certain. Its very possible that a PO swaped in a different engine if something bad happened to the original one.

To confirm you have an 1100 look on the left hand side of the motor near the base of the cylinders I think. It should have 1098cc stamped on it.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

Should the vin number on the sticker on my bike match the serial number that's stamped on my engine?
      # on steering neck matches original engine #.
      Front of engine lower center should read 1101cc or 1102cc

mro

Comment

Wow - I was way off. Now i've got to go look at mine when I get home. I swear mine says 1098 on left side.
        1979 xs1100 Special -
        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
        Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
        My Bike:
        [link is broken]

Comment

The "prefix" on the engine number is ALSO an easy way to know. 2H7 is a '78 or '79 STANDARD, and the engine prefix will follow the frame prefix from there.
          Just another way......
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I got the same thing goin. Although I just noticed something today. I knew my bike is a 79 with a 2h7 number but my motor is a 3j6. Well low and behold the rubber things in the cooling fins of the head have 2h7 on em haha.. its a fraank n steen.
            XS1100 F/G (79 Bike/80 Motor)
            Grab a tetanus shot and jump on!!!

Comment

originally posted by psyco
              I swear mine says 1098 on left side.
              Take pics
              I've never seen a 1098 XS1100

mro

Comment

2H7

you will notice 2H7 stamped on many parts of these motors even if it's not a 78-79. The parts cast for the early motors were still used on later engines.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                X