small round headlamps - Source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small round headlamps - Source?

Anyone know where I can find some small round headlamps like the ones pictured here or here for a reasonable price in the US. They are listed as "Bates" style 4.5" and 5 3/4".

I've looked around and all of them are either, A. Way to much money - 100+ for two generic light buckets is way to much IMO.
    B. Has a "high" beam indicator built in which I don't want and don't need.

I'm looking for black ones but I can paint over the chrome if I need to. The reason I want some like this and not something like harbor freight sells is that these will take a "DOT" headlamp with dual beams and I do a significant amount of night riding and the local police are real bored at 3 or 4 am.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

6 of them in my garage but they do have the red indicator light on them but you can disable it.
    I hate signatures. Too many cars and Bikes to list here.

Comment

look on ebay for streetfighter lights they have thousands of different kinds.!!! and you can get all kinds of different mounts for them
      " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
      xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
      8mm msd wires
      tkat fork brace...
      Fox shocks...
      mikes650 front fender
      led's gallore...
      renthal bars
      gold valve emulators
      vmax tensioner
      Rifle fairing

Comment

e-bay

Thanks for the Idea but you must have searched something different then what I did. I searched e-bay and I haven't found "thousands" of options. When I search for "Streetfighter" or "Street Fighter" I get a grand total of about 50 results. None of them are like the lights I'm looking for. I've searched e-bay for "head lights" and variations on that and all I can find are the "dominator" kits which I like the looks of but can't bring myself to pay 150 for, and lights like I posted but with "high beam" indicator built in.
        1979 xs1100 Special -
        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
        My Bike:
        [link is broken]

Comment

two things 1 you can pull the bulb from the
          indicator and if it's side mount you can mount it indicator down. 2 finding that size bulb is a real bitch. I have 6 side mounts here if your interested in a pair I'll shoot pics tomorrow when I finally shoot the rest of the pics.
          I hate signatures. Too many cars and Bikes to list here.

Comment

Hey Psycho,

Just a quick search on Ebay for (4" headlight) revealed about 100 hits, but most of the bullet styled ones were 5.75" and close to $100 ea!! They had several UNIVERSAL bottom mount ROUND chrome housing style.....also 5.75" for ~$30.00 ea!

So...if you want the fancy bullet style, you'll have to PAY! But if you just want small round lights, look for SPOTLIGHTS, found some on Dennis Kirk as well.
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

also i looked for them about a year ago. and they were all around 30 bucks or so each light. you can also type in twin headlight motorcycle or something like that. i'll look and see.
              " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
              xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
              8mm msd wires
              tkat fork brace...
              Fox shocks...
              mikes650 front fender
              led's gallore...
              renthal bars
              gold valve emulators
              vmax tensioner
              Rifle fairing

Comment

TC, Yeah I've been looking at e-bay and I don't want to pay 100 apiece. They shouldn't cost that much IMO and if I can't find them cheaper I'll just stick with the single light I've got. The cheap ones you located I'll bet have the "high beam" indicator. All of the "Universal" ones I've looked at do.
                I did look at SPOTLIGHTS but I'm not sure if they are DOT leagal or if I can get High/Low beam bulbs that will fit the housings.

If anyone has a set of spotlights that they know will fit a high/low beam bulb let me know. I'd go that way if I was relatively certain a Hi/Low bulb would fit.

DSX11, The problem with the high beam indicator is that I want to mount the lights "side ways" so the bottom of both lights is towards the center of the bike and hide the bracket in between the two lights and under the gauges. Then I'm going to build some LED turn signals into the front facing side of a pair of bar end mirrors I picked up, thus eliminating the need to mount turn signals.

When I've got that mounted up I'm going to spend some time and hide all the wiring mess that tends to stick out every where up front.

I'm also ordering either superbike or drag style bars. I've though of the clubmans bars but I think they'll make me uncomfortable.

Then I'd like to get a 2nd seat pan and build something either cafe style or solo street fighter style.

My ultimate goal is to have this bike do double duty. Once I've got he first goal I'll focus on being able to relativly quickly and easily convert the 2nd.

1.Cool looking Cafe/fighter for me to commute back and forth with daily.

2.Two up touring for me and SWMBO.

I have a Windjammer, saddle bags, and just ordered a trunk. I've got to build my own faring bracket because I don't have one so I'm going to make it quick/easy to add and remove. The seat changes with just two Nuts. The trunk/rack mounts with 4 bolts. The saddle bags mount with the same 4 bolts.

In all I'll have maybe 10 bolts up front for the jammer, and 6 bolts in back for the seat, bags and trunk. I think if I add some quick connects to the wiring I should be able to go from commuter to tourer in an hour or two at most.
                The biggest problem I might have is if the bars I get for the "commuter" look aren't comfortable enough, or don't work with the jammer. Then I'd have to switch bars and/or controls from one set to the other.

Thanks guys.
                1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                [link is broken]

Comment

Working...
                X