Shift Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift Issues

My XS1100 runs beautifully, with the exception of some shifting problems. For one thing, I have no 5th gear, which I think I already understand how to fix.

However, it also shifts gears kinda rough (ka-thunk!), gets stuck in neutral when I'm shifting from second to first sometimes, and, two or three times now, it won't shift at all.

How to I go about fixing these things? Are they seperate issues or all related?
    -Ryan

Are you a dreamer?

'81 XS1100H w/ Pods

Search threads for "russian tractor" in the search box.
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Hey Ryan,

I thought I had posted a reply to your previous shifting problem, the 5th gear blues, and I found it. At the bottom I mention about replacing the shift shaft return spring while doing the shift drum dowel/pin and plate repair. If you're trying to downshift from neutral and keep patting/hitting the shift lever down but it doesn't shift, try GENTLY pulling up on the lever just enough to feel tension, but not so far as to SHIFT back up into 2nd, and then try pushing down again on the lever. You'll probably find that it will then shift down because you were able to reset the shift pawl mechanism....like a ratchet wrench, and move the pawl far enough to grab the next pin on the drum needed to rotate the drum for shifting into 1st. The spring is probably too weak and not returning/lifting the lever back up far enough after a downshift to reset the shift pawl!

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Okay, I thought that might be the issue. I still haven't gotten around to pulling that cover off and checking it out.

So would the spring be responsible for the fact that a couple of times the bike won't shift at all? Or is that something else?
        -Ryan

Are you a dreamer?

'81 XS1100H w/ Pods

Comment

If you carefully lean bike to the right about the same as if that side had the kick stand and block it in place....
          you can remove the cover over the sifter without having to drain the oil from thr engine.

With manual in hand check the adjustments.
          The return spring, can't tell much looking at one except if it is not installed right.

Check condition of shift pawl mechanism.
          The thin shift lever (#3) rotates the shift drum when you lift/press on the shift pedal by pushing or pulling on the pin dowls on the shift drum.
          Should be able to shift it thru all the gears.
          If all is good there, then you have some internal problems

mro

Comment

Thanks. That helps a lot. I'll try and get to that tomorrow. Kep your fingers crossed...
            -Ryan

Are you a dreamer?

'81 XS1100H w/ Pods

Comment

As long as this is a shift problem thread, I have a problem... ok, I have more than one problem but I was talking about my bike. It seems to be only when slowing down, going from third to second or second to first. The shift lever sticks down, it's not the spring issue. It takes a lot to pull it back up. When it's stuck down it might be inbetween gears, might not. Seems like sometimes it might go from third to neutral. It seems to over travel. Doesn't do it very often so I'm leaning toward something loose like the pins rather than shift forks worn??? Wish I could give better details. Any ideas?
              79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
              79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Most of the time "stuck down it might be inbetween gears" seems to happen from not using suffecient force lifting/pressing on the pedal.

As fer it sticking
                Will need to take a look under the shift cover, possible one shaft loose or worn affecting one of shift levers alignment and jamming.

mro

Comment

As fer it sticking Will need to take a look under the shift cover, possible one shaft loose or worn affecting one of shift levers alignment and jamming.
                  As mro said, pull the left cover behind the shifter, and check the alignment per the book. If it's off a little, it can be causing the problems.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I shouldn't have used the word sticking. I should have said jammed/locked up, actually locked down. It takes a lot of force to unjam it, raise it up. I am using plenty of force when shifting when this happens. Don't know if I'll get to it before winter, if not it will be on the winter list. Thanks for the help.
                    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                    79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Takes less than an hour to pull cover, adjust and reinstall.
                      Only hassel is if the gasket is FUBARed as it is a wet cover.

mro
                      (after you've done it once will only take about 30 minuets)

Comment

Hey Bandit,

As was stated, there is an alignment procedure, with specific notches in the shift drum plate and the shift pawl arm, to be aligned in 2nd gear. IF they are NOT aligned, it could be rotating the shift drum either too far or not far enough, not allowing it to reset to grab the next pin, etc.!?
                        T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                        X