wiring problems HELP!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

virgsr62:

The blinkers or flashers will operate without the bike running. However you have to have a good voltage left in the battery to operate the self canceling flasher. The SC Flasher is found under the tank. The flasher relay also is found in the same vicinity and can be replaced with a auto one, however, you will loose the self canceling feature. When the battery is low the flasher relay will not have enough voltage to operate and the blinker will stay on without flashing.

Comment

my trouble

My trouble is that I am trying to get the blinkers to work threw the wireing harness that run to my fairing and my hard sattlebags.when I wire up the bags and the fairing , they will not blink or even come on when I hook them up to my blue wire and my d/green or the brown. the bags are grounded to the metal frame and the lights are grounded to the frame of the sattlebags .
      ?????????? what am I forgeting to do????????

Comment

Virg,
        The problem is probably with the wiring of your fairing more so than the saddlebags. Don't know what brand/model your fairing is, but hopefully you've found an online site with a wiring diagram for it. Also, with your saddlebags, are the lights single filament or dual filament??

The Special only has turn signal wires to both front and back, no running lights. Most fairings have running lights in with the turn signals. The blue wire you speak of is the tail light running light wire but there should be another one for the brake light.

You'll need to have a multimeter to test the fairing IF you don't have a wiring diagram to determine what wires go to what, also figure out which are the signal wires vs. the running wires for the front lights, and ensure that the signal light sockets are GROUNDED.

Tom, the Tach should show ALL the time. When it's not reading at idle/sitting, it's often due to the charging system not working properly, at low rpm it's not putting out much current, but once you get rolling down the road with higher rpms, it puts out enough to activate the tach. Yeah, PO's can really botch up the wiring. Best we can suggest is to get a copy of the wiring diagram, and test things with a meter. There are often unused bullet connectors in the headlight bucket for always on fairing accessory, and running lights, vs the OEM lights. Blowing a fuse is usually due to a short, hot wire worn bare hitting/grounding to frame. The ONLY fuse that should be 30 amp is the MAIN fuse, and on the 81, it's in a separate holder on the left side of the bike, vs. the other fuses that are in the right panel.

One thing to check surprisingly is the main ignition switch, the wires have been known to come unsoldered, and that can be a cause for the main fuse blowing!?
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Lights

The fairing has a metal serial number tag on it , it says on the tag yamaha motorcycle company . the lights all work when I ground the plug on the lower left iner corner of the fairing . when I bought it ,it had come off of a 1978 yamaha xs 750 . any more suggestions or web sites will really help.

thanks virgsr

Comment

pics

if you go to the part of the forum that has pics of our bikes on it go to the last page ( atleast that was where the pics of my bike and the fairing on it )
            that is the fairing I am trying to get the lights to work on .

virgsr

Comment

Hey Virg,

Found your photo:

Went to the www.yamaha-triples.org site and found their advertising brochures page http://www.yamaha-triples.org/library/ads/default.asp

And looking at the link on the top right of the page, the '77 ad, along with the 4th link down on the left, the Pacifico ads, it's probably a PACIFICO brand fairing.

I haven't tried to find a wiring diagram, don't know if they are still in business, others here may have more info?

Aside from a wiring diagram, you should be able to trace the wires in the fairing thru a test HOT wire and ground, to see what lights up when you energize it, and then notate it, to match it up with the right wire on the bike harness!?
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

taillights

Thanks man I will try it tomarrow.

virgsr

Comment

Pacifico is OUT of business!!! They went out in a ball of fire, when the PLANT WENT UP IN FLAMES in the late '79, IIRC. I know the fairing you are talking about, as there is an owner in SLV who is NOT on this forum that has one of those.
                  Using a VOM is probably the easy way to find the wire codes, as the 750 may NOT match the XS1100.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                  X