wiring problems HELP!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring problems HELP!!!!

I have a XS 1100 SPECIAL I have just bought a month ago I was working on it to get it running . I had a bad problem with the carbs leaking , while I was working on it it backfired , blew up my tank burnt my wiring harness and componets I have replace most of them, but the wiring harness I have is the same as the old but there ar some plugs on the harness that dont match in the front and one in the back I need help to figure out alternative ways to eather splice aditonal plugs to make work or something . Is there any one that can help me.

virgsr cligriv@aol.com

wiring

You might want to tell us what year your bike is. The wiring harnesses vary from model and years. Here's a link to wiring diagrams, PDF file.

http://web.ebscohost.com/serrc/pdf?v...0sessionmgr107
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

wiring

The title says it is a 1980 XS eleven-special. I am sorry aboutm my lack of info, this is the first time I have tried this . The plug on the harness is a big plug with 8 pins the ones on my insterments are two 3pin female plugs.
      the one on the back by my tail lights are on the harnes is a 5 pin male plug the only plug not pluged on the tail section is a 6 pin male plug.
      virgsr

Comment

Check your serial number and compare to here
        CLICK>>>http://www.xs11.com/specifications/serialno.shtml

mro

Comment

Reason for checking your number is you may have a 79 ,80 or 81...
          (depends when bike was made, not when first registered or sold)

Since the wiring from one harness to the other have different plugs and number of wires they obviously are not the same.

mro
          BTW, welcome to XS Land

while I was working on it it backfired , blew up my tank burnt my wiring harness and componets
          Umm...
          have you taken any pics"

Comment

Wiring problems

I have went to the site you said to it shows it to be a 1980 modle from the serial #. If I new how to insert pics I could put some on this I just have not figured it out yet.Like I said new to this I hope to get better at this.

virgsr

Comment

Hi, you may need to change the connectors on one side or the other. As you may already know using the wireing diagram will help you to match the correct wires from the model year harness to the other model year componants. You can order new wire plugs and connectors online, one good source is:

http://www.mikesxs.net/mikesxs-elect...ategory_id=2.6

Good parts source for XS650s but the metric terminals and wire plugs are pretty much universal.

Good luck.
              R
              Trying not to offend since Aug 28, 2010

Disclaimer: I am an idiot. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
              Owner of:
              1979 XS1100F (The Pig)
              140 mains
              45 pilot jets
              Floats at 24mm
              Running Rich

"Arrogant, delusional tyrants can't be stopped by earnest words and furrowed brows. Action, strong bold action coming from a position of strength and determination, is the only effective deterrent." -Mitt Romney

Comment

SG

According to my manual harness side

Instraments
                4 plugs(2) three plug connecters
                one to speedo (white/green, blue and black)
                other, white, brown and black
                (1) four pin plug with 4 wires
                (1) six pin plug with 6 wires

1980G (standard)
                Instraments, 3 plugs harness side
                (1) nine pin plug with eight wires
                (1) four pin plug to speedo
                (1) six pin plug with 5 wires

5 pin male?
                Could not find any plug on any year that is 5 pins

1980+ models use a six pin plug on tail lights

Hope this helps

mro

Comment

Wiring problems

Thanks guys I think I am going to try to get som plugs . Again thanks for your help
                  virgsr

Comment

Help wanted how to make lights work

I have got the wireing harness in . All the electrical relays on, replaced old blinker lights with my fairing and saddlebags.All lights work when I put the juice to them but not when I plug them into the harness I dont know if there is another ground I have not found yet or why it wont work any sugestions will be appreciated.

Comment

Hey there Virg,

I merged your previous thread with this new one so that "we" could see what had happened to your machine, what you've already done/tried, etc.. It's best to find your previous thread.....they scroll off the main page after a short time, but will be bumped back to the front once you post a new REPLY to it, this way folks can follow it better, and not provide REPEAT info!

You clarified your year info in the thread, but would still be good to EDIT your PROFILE info for future posts!

Okay, did you replace the wiring harness with one that was not burnt??
                      Aside from the wiring harness, did you replace the FUSEBLOCK? Have you REMOVED the fuses and inspected them for continuity...glass fuses can look good but be bad. Have you cleaned the ground contacts for the battery where it connects to the frame, along with the OTHER engine to frame ground strap?

BTW, the headlight won't work until the engine is running..latching relay!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

new problem

I was out there yesterday there was a wire on the front of the wireing harness by the other plugins that was hot all the time even when it was cut off in lock position it touched something and now I have no power what soever to the ones I had power at before I checked the fuse with my oem meter shows the fuses are good I do not know how to check my cdi box . I did not replace it but I took the cover off of it and it looked fine .The cover was melted a bit so I have not put it back on since I took it off,this is when I started on my wireing about a month ago.

Comment

virgsr62:

Look for a Main Fuse on the left side while sitting on the bike, just up towards the front from the battery insert position. This is a one fuse holder 20Amps coming off of the battery with a smaller red wire. When you inadvertently blew that fuse by shorting that hot wire, yoy more than likely blew that fuse.

Comment

found it

found it replaced fuse and got power again thanks.
                            Now do you know or can give me some instructions on how to fix the blinkers and get them to workIcant get them to blink dose the bike have to be running before they will blink.

Comment

For the electrical guru's.... My 81 standard is popping a fuse. The PO had cut all original fuses out, and replaced them with spade fuses. However did not do it neatly. THere is one fuse that pops repeatedly now...only when it is rolling down the road. the PO put a 30 amp fuse in it...but when it blows, the only thing i can notice that doesnt work is the "neutral" light and the tach doesnt work while sitting...only when rolling down the road. when i pulled the fairing off, there is a clusterflop of wires with bullet style ends that are not connected to anything...3 of them i think. any insights?
                              '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
                              Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
                              4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
                              Windjammer(wiring issues)
                              SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
                              New paint/brakes to come!!
                              ===============
                              '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
                              ===============
                              '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
                              Stock Pilots/125 mains
                              Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
                              SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
                              LED Brake Lite
                              Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Working...
                              X