Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18" wheel on 79F

Hi all.

New to the forum (been reading for a while).

I'm thinking of putting an 18" wheel on my 79F. I got one from an xs750-2D. I Will I need to change the rotor? If so, I assume the XS11std rotors will just bolt on - is that correct? Am I going to need a different spacer?

Any advice and/or war stories appreciated! I did find a thread from a couple of months ago about an 18" rear wheel conversion, but additional detailed information is helpful.

I'm also interested in the 750FD switch - still contemplating it. I'm just getting tired of always looking for 6th gear during my highway commute . . .
    79 Std, Vetter kit

rim

Hi Raudi,,,,I started the 18 inch conversion because I acquired an xs1100 with the wheel rim already on it. I wanted to find out where it was from and also how much the revs. drop.
    The man to contact with mechanical specifics is the xs member:
    AlanB
    XSive Maximus

He seems to have a lot of knowledge on the specifics of converting. I know the revs drop about 8% and it feels good. I also have an xj1100 and I also am looking for 6th gear a lot. The 18" rim on my MNS, xs, is a nice smooth freeway rpm. So, contact, AlanB and good luck,,,Mike in San Diego
    mike
    1982 xj1100 maxim
    1981 venture bagger
    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
    1959 wife

Comment

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the advice. I'll send AlanB a message.

I got a good laugh from reading your signature, and I'm also a little concerned for your health. What will happen when your wife finds out you've posted her model year (age) on the forum for all to see??!

-- GoPlay
      79 Std, Vetter kit

Comment

Hi Raudi,

I have done a few wheel swaps, but not this one...... although the "750 bevel mod" which has been done by many forum members proves that the 18" wheel fits straight onto the 1100 bevel.

The 750 uses a smaller rotor and a matching shorter caliper bracket and torque plate than the 11, so you need to decide which set to use. The rotors swap, and the 1100 caliper will fit either bracket.

If you use the 750 parts, you will want the whole set; all the spacers and plates, but I honestly don't know if it will go straight into the arm.

If you use the 1100 brake, there are two different torque plates available; you need to hope one fits!....... When swapping between 16" and 17" wheels, the matching torque plate and spacers are needed to make the swap go smoothly....... if the 18" wheel is built the same as one or the other it will just be nuts and bolts; if not, you are into some fabrication!

Let us know how you get on.............

Why do you want to swap to the narrower 18" wheel?? With the recommended tire sizes fitted, there is very little difference in diameter between the two.

If you want to raise the gearing, have a look for the threads on the 750 bevel mod; It will raise the gearing far more than the wheel swap can ever manage, and is a well-documented piece of work; no surprises in that!

AlanB
        If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Working...
        X