Guru, schmuru, we have problems, too!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geezer
    Ditch the wiring bag behind the fairing. All those things do is collect water and speed up the corrosion process. The the wires hang out in the open and you'll have way less problems.

Geezer
    Make sure that the bag is put on upside DOWN. You slip it over the TOP of the wiring bundle so the open end of the drawstring bag is DOWN. Also make sure that it is tied up in between the headlight ears. Does the bag really do anything???? Can't be sure, But have never had any problems with Vetter fairing wiring Outside of the fairing in 30 years
    John
    Now: '78 XS1100E 750 FD Mod (Big Dog)
    '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
    '78 CB750F ( The F)
    '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
    New '82 Honda MB5 Ring Ding
    Then: '76 CB550K
    '78 CB750F
    '84 VF1100S
    And still Looking!

Comment

Originally posted by ClarkGriswald
      Same reason that a 10 ga. is bigger than a 20ga.
      There's a method that's used to arrive at that numbered size of the shotgun guage size. (?) Anybody guess what that "method" is before I tell it?

410 shotgun~~not part of that method.
      JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
      7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

Originally posted by oldnortonrider

There's a method that's used to arrive at that numbered size of the shotgun guage size. (?) Anybody guess what that "method" is before I tell it?

410 shotgun~~not part of that method.
        Number of balls of lead that are the same diameter as the barrel bore that equals 1 lb. So 12 balls 0.7" (approx, can't be bothered to look it up) = 1lb, so it's a 12 ga

Dave
        XS1100G (3X1 000274) "Torquey"

You can think of a lightning bolt as essentially a really really big bug zapper. Unfortunatey, we're the bugs.

Comment

Kudos, to ya New Zealand.

Lead ball weighing 1/12 of pound = "12 guage"; lead ball weighing 1/16 of a pound = "16 guage"..........etc..........

(that fits the bore; not the choke part.)
          JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
          7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

Originally posted by randy
            I'm curious to know what's out there, whether my switch wiring is just an anomaly, or is it normal? BTW, it's an OEM switch. If by chance you've got the headlight bucket open, take a look at your wiring, let me know what you find.
            Randy, the harness wires and ignition switch wires are both #12 on my bike.

I think the old regulator cooked the dielectric grease out of the connector so it began to overheat.

The rain storm was more coincidence than cause, but the old connector and its terminals will be replaced when the new parts arrive.

Cleaned and Melted Connector

Regards,

Scott
            -- Scott
            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
            X