Gotta stop procrastinating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta stop procrastinating

I must be over a year ago that I got one of TC's fuse boxes and there it sits, still in it's bubble wrap. Monday down town the tach & signals quit on me so I aborted my errand and rode straight home before the engine could quit on me too. Merely shoved a fuse back into it's holder and everything's OK again. Yesterday, same failure but it cured itself. But the writing is on the wall, I have to swap in that new fusebox. OK, I can clip out one pair of wires at a time and reconnect that pair onto the new fusebox so things don't get confused. But what about the main fuse, that 30A orphan that lives by itself behind the leftside cover? Do I
    Leave it alone?
    Swap the holder for a stand-alone spade fuse holder in the same location?
    Integrate that fuse into the new block?
    Advice, please?
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Fred, I'm going to be watching this thread carefully as I have the very same fuse box (minus the bubble wrap) sitting on my work bench while my bike is....well.....electrically retarded. I too need to make this mod before I get stranded somewhere.
    I know this, because Tyler knows this.

1980 SG
    3J6 003509
    Kerker 4-1 (sans baffles)
    Fuse Block Upgrade
    Mike's XS Green Coils
    Pods w/Homemade Velocity Stacks

Comment

I left the one, on the other side of the bike, alone. I haven't seen anyone have trouble with that one, just the main box.

It's a really easy swap over, but I did them all at once, just wrote down which wires were which.
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I left my main fuse stock, too. It makes it easy to disable the entire electrical system by pulling one fuse that's behind a locked panel.

I couldn't find anyone that actually had AGX 30 fuses in stock so I ordered five from Yamaha. A box of ten came in, so I bought the rest of the box. <chuckling> I have no idea what I'll use them for, but if anyone needs a fuse....

Regards,

Scott
        -- Scott
        _____
        ♬
        2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
        ♬

Comment

Redo the main fuse

Hi Fred, I would recommend redoing the main fuse with a single spade fuse holder, ATO I think, asap. My xs1100 main fuse was loose after all these years, and jiggling it caused an elec. short. The glass fuse holder, original is not durable, so I bought a single fuse holder, avail. at most auto parts stores and cut out and spliced, soldered in the new. Cost, 3.00. It hangs on the old factory fuse prong and the fuse fits nice and tight. The fuse boxes have a maximum rating of 65 amps, I believe and the main fuse addition overloads it, so that is another reason to keep the main fuse seperate. I will try to get a pic up asap,,,,,,,,Mike in S.Diego
          mike
          1982 xj1100 maxim
          1981 venture bagger
          1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
          1959 wife

Comment

I eleminated the main fuse and it is now with the others in the fuse block. You can get fuses and most other electrical parts dirt cheap from Dell City.
            POTTS CREEK EXPRESS

IF YOU AINT THE LEAD DOG
            THE VIEW IS ALWAYS THE SAME
            1980 G Full Dresser

Comment

When I converted to spade fuses I pulled the wire back to the right side and put a 30 amp in the fuse box. Works fine for me, and they're all there together.
              1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

The new fusebox is now installed

I got it done Yesterday and everything runs great again. I wired the main 30A fuse in with all the others. What I reckon is, there's 80 Amps-worth of fuses in that box but it can never see more than the twice the 30 Amps that can flow through the main fuse which is less than the 65 Amps that Mike says is the fusebox maximum load and I doubt it sees anywhere near that in normal use.
                As for the the main fuse needing to be locked away under the left-side cover for security's sake, I just don't see that as needful. Sidecar rigs are seldom stolen as they are too big to haul away in a pickup truck and the average thief don't know how to ride one.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I did the TopCat fuse block replacement about a month ago.Best mod that i have done so far.I started to find the old glass round fuses harder and harder to find and the blade type fuses are the way to go.
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  Inline fuel filters
                  New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                  160 mph speedometer mod
                  Kerker Exhaust
                  xschop K & N air filter setup
                  Dynojet Recalibration kit
                  1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                  1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Got one sittin on my desk, came this week. ( I just ordered one from where they come from).. Only thing is I would rather keep my old crusty setup until I get some sidecovers. I would hate to make a bunch of pretty wiring and have it exposed to rain/wind ect.. So its back to polishing for me until this deluge ends.
                    XS1100 F/G (79 Bike/80 Motor)
                    Grab a tetanus shot and jump on!!!

Comment

Come on Clark, you had to have ordered more than 1, or other stuff as well!?

I get them from Del City, and they have a $25.00 minimum order, and so even though they only sell for ~$5.00 ea, you have to order several to meet the minimum order, plug shipping. Most folks don't have a large stable of bikes and so only need 1, and so I just try to offer a service and price savings vs. buying $25.00 worth of stuff from them. I only charge what is needed to cover shipping and paypal expenses to receive them and then send them out to the membership! Non-Profit!!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

The whole thing came to like 15 bucks with shipping. So I dont mind it, I just had it on my mind and it was faster to just do it.. Wiringproducts is where I found it. The 6 channel one with the nice sealed lid like in that thread way way back that I found.. haha. I dont know..
                        XS1100 F/G (79 Bike/80 Motor)
                        Grab a tetanus shot and jump on!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X