Vetter Winshields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuckster
    There appears to be some kind of double stick tape at the base of the windshield where it meetings the fairing. Have you been able to replace that or do you just pull the old shield off and reuse? I know they sell this stuff for Vetter windshields on the Vetter website, but I have a Yamaha/Pacifico fairing and don't have a clue where to get new tape.
    The HomeDepot/Lowes weather stripping is kinda thick and cause some fitment problems. I found the tool drawer liners you buy at Sears/Matco/Snap On is a much thinner material. Some of it is self stick, some is not. It sometimes takes two pieces to fit the outline of the windshield. I have not noticied any degradation from exposure to sun, yet. The tint on my shield and the chrome trim that covers it may be contributing to this. It is supposed to stay on the fairing when you take the shield off, but over the years, it "cooks" to the shield. You can still buy the Vetter stuff, kinda pricy, but it would be years before you would have to replace it again, and it would fit right. DO NOT run the shield without this foam "buffer". It allows a little give between the fairing and shield to prevent cracking. You should be able to figure out how I know this. Ditto on the advice not to ride with a broken shield or at least be very aware that sucker could break off with the next passing car or truck.
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Okay, I bit the bullet, (before I got bit by something else), and bought a new windshield.

Picked it up through Royal Distributing, ordered from Parts Canada, windshield, vents and screws for $109.95 cdn plus tax. Ordered last Friday and picked it up Tuesday.

Put it on last night and almost went through it! Compared to the old one (20 years plus) this new one is virtually invisible
      Ernie
      79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
      (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

2 new ones

I have two new winshields made of Lexan, which is a GE trade name for polycarbonate. Custom made for me by my bro-in-law. Secret to the bend is lay the sheet in the oven at 250 degrees on a towel and bend it to shape and let it cool that way. The covering must be removed for this. Also drilling the plastic is very difficult with a regular drill as it will catch and break the acrylic. Plastic drills are ground special to prevent this.
        You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
        Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
        Drilled airbox
        Tkat fork brace
        Hardly mufflers
        late model carbs
        Newer style fuses
        Oil pressure guage
        Custom security system
        Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by webbcraft2150

Ditto on the advice not to ride with a broken shield or at least be very aware that sucker could break off with the next passing car or truck.
          I laid the old shield down on some cardboard to make a template, in case I ever decide to make one from scratch. As soon as I applied a small amount of pressure to it, it broke apart. You're right it doesn't take much to blow the sheilds apart once they have a good crack in them.
          Ernie
          79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
          (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

That's the beauty of Lexan

Lexan will not break. Bulletproof even. 1/4" of Lexan will stop even assault rifle shots.
            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
            Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
            Drilled airbox
            Tkat fork brace
            Hardly mufflers
            late model carbs
            Newer style fuses
            Oil pressure guage
            Custom security system
            Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Re: That's the beauty of Lexan

Originally posted by planedick
              Lexan will not break. Bulletproof even. 1/4" of Lexan will stop even assault rifle shots.
              The down side of Lexan, is that it will become more brittle than Plexiglass ,if not more, if exposed to gasoline!!!
              Discovered this years ago while in the sign business. Started putting up Lexan sign faces in "Lil General" convenience stores (so kids couldn't throw rocks through them) and just the exposure to gas fumes from the pumps made them brittle enough that they would shatter from any bump or high wind.
              Something to keep in mind. These were Vacuformed sign faces, so maybe this had something to do with it. Yes the new faces were virtually bullet-proof.
              John
              Now: '78 XS1100E 750 FD Mod (Big Dog)
              '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
              '78 CB750F ( The F)
              '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
              New '82 Honda MB5 Ring Ding
              Then: '76 CB550K
              '78 CB750F
              '84 VF1100S
              And still Looking!

Comment

Re: That's the beauty of Lexan

Originally posted by planedick
                I ain't standing behind it!

Seriously though, I think you need at least 1.25" to stop a 7.62X39 round.
                XS1100SF
                XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                X