quick question please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick question please help

i have a 79 special. if i were to buy a set of carbs from a 78 special and re-work them would they work on my 79?

Yamaha did not make a 78 Special. If you are looking at the carbs on Ebay I would guess they are from a 79 which was built in 78.
    Gary
    79sf
    78e

Comment

Yeah there were three sets on ebay. all said they were from a 78. my question is if I were to buy a set of carbs off of another year/model could I rebuild them just as I would a set off of a 79 to use on my bike? or are there other differences. If I remember correctly the carbs from 80-81 were quite a bit different than 78-79.

1978 YAMAHA XS 1100 SPECIAL CARBURETOR

1979 XS 1100 Carburetors

1978 YAMAHA XS1100 CARBURATOR CARBS

Comment

Beechfront

Wow, what part of your question did I not understand?

I have a 79 Special and a 78 Standard and have not seen any difference between them other than the Special uses a octupus to activate the petcocks. I haven't had the carbs totally apart on the Standard yet, but know the main jets are the same size, and believe the other jets are the same also. I wouldn't be afraid to buy 78 carbs to use on my 79 Special. Hope this helps this time.
        Gary
        79sf
        78e

Comment

thanks gary - that is all i needed to know.

wish me luck!

Comment

Almost any 4 cyl carbs with bout the same diameter should work...

My ZX600 R carbs are in a car now... I hear it got some more HP now LOL
            If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
            (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

They would work, BUT the carbs internally are a little different, (jet size). 78-79 to an 80-81 is a much, much bigger difference but still would work if tuned properly.
              Gary Granger
              Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
              2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

I was looking at getting the individual filters - and from what I've read on various posts here, that requires re-jetting. So my thinking was even if I got the '78 carbs I will be re-jetting it anyway so it wouldn't matter. Am I correct in my thinking?

Comment

filters

I had a set of indiv. filter on my 78'E and it is very hard to get everything set corrcetly I just but mine back to the stock filter box with a K&N filter. You will find in many writeups that you get almost the same overall performance with the K&N filter as you do with the indiv. filters that and if you ever ride in the rain they do not recomend the open filters because they can suck the rain in this is just my thoughts on this, others might disagree.
                  Jason
                  78'E inherited original owner
                  78'E could not pass up

Comment

You know I've been looking at those carbs and if you study you will notice that they are later than a 79 cause the plates on top are a rusty steel stamping and the angle iron bracket that holds them together is mounted differant. Garry
                    Garry
                    '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                    outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Which set of carbs are you looking at?
                      Gary
                      79sf
                      78e

Comment

The ones at the bottom of Beechfronts post & the second pic of the same site on ebay. Garry
                        Garry
                        '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                        outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Okay I went back and looked at them again and I still say they are later model. Mixture screws and idle adjuster are certainly made differant than my 79s but they look a lot like the 80 model ones on the next page. Seems like this seller really hasn't the foggiest idea what year any of this stuff is , check his other items. I say BEWARE Garry
                          Garry
                          '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                          outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Working...
                          X