rpm jump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rpm jump

Just got my 79 xs11 running, new carbs and alot of electrical work and misc. But nowI start it up and it will idle for a few mins then the rpms will jump from 1k up to 6k and stay. I havent seen any vac leaks and it happens if you never touch the throtle.... any suggestions on what to look at? This is the first bike I have worked on and its about to cause brain damage from me beating my head against the wall...

Well ... a stuck

advance mechanism could be responsible for some of the extra rpm ... but beyond that ... and I hate to be the bearer of bad news ... it is likely going to be in or on the carbs.

Did you bench synch before installing or dynamically synch after the installation?

You didn't say but: are they new aftermarket carbs or 'new to you' BS34 II s? Any other mods? Give us the whole story, my man
    80G Mini-bagger
    VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
    79SF eventually dismantled for parts
    79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
    79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
    79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

d*mn carbs.....

hey there djfeth......i agree with thewiz....we gotta know more about what ya got...if ya can do photos, that would explain alot with out a lot of typing....could be idle screw adjustments or something more serious.....trust me if your carbs were not cleaned to this point of cleanliness...

then they were not cleaned....also, here is the link of the h*ll i went thru to get mine back in shape....

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...threadid=17116

also ya might wanna use the search function and search either carbs or rpm's or both to find an answer....trust me, the answer is here, just how bad do ya wanna work for it.....good luck.....talk 2 ya later....ross
      rebel devil
      1979 xs 1100f standard
      authenic historical vehicle
      42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
      "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
      "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
      "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
      '96 venture cct.....installed!
      stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
      i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

On the left side of the carbs... you will see a little lever.
        This is the choke lever(Actually, it's an enrichener system.)
        Anyway... one pulls the lever out when starting the bike cold.
        But nowI start it up and it will idle for a few mins then the rpms will jump from 1k up to 6k and stay.
        Uhmm.. that will happen if one doesn't take the choke off. (as the engine warms.. it runs better)
        Of course, it could be something else. This one just popped in my head.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

"...will happen if one doesn't take the choke off...."

Do ya' think? When I leave the enrichener on at idle, it usually eventually just loads up and dies? Maybe I got something wrong .... but I s'pose it's possible ... 'specially if a throttle valve or valves remain open.
          80G Mini-bagger
          VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
          79SF eventually dismantled for parts
          79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
          79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
          79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

I'll bet

It probably is a synch problem. A proper synch will solve lots of seemingly tough carb issues. I struggled with my carbs just trying to get the even idle perfection I knew was there using my Motion Pro mercury synch tool. It wasn't until I visited Thewiz and he used his Morgan CArbtune synchronizors that I finally acheived that. Another thing I learned while there was that a vacuum can build at idle that will advance the timing and cause a runaway idle too. Try removing the vacuum line to the vacuum advance unit, cap the carb port and try it again.
            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
            Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
            Drilled airbox
            Tkat fork brace
            Hardly mufflers
            late model carbs
            Newer style fuses
            Oil pressure guage
            Custom security system
            Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Working...