weird headlight question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird headlight question

well i read several posts about the warning light being on and it said thjat means the low beam is burned out or the high beam.

my light was always on when i bought the bike. i never thought about it because i had another bike that had a light that would stay lit up so i was thinking it was the oil light or something... i don't have the manual with it. any whooo the po bought a new headlight bucket and installed it sometime before i bought the bike. this morning i was looking at the wires inside and they seemed awful tight and there wasn't much room for the light to move around then i ralized it looked like he had the two big wires routed into the bucket poorly. soi started unpluging stuff and then i realized he had the head light hooked up to the other 3 pin connector that is shaped the same. you could even see the different color wires.???? so i reconnected it to the right connecter and the warning light went out. i was looking in my service book to find out about this and i couldn't find any more info on it.
    also there are two more wires that aren't connected to anything. they are female connectors i think one was red and one was blue. it's way past my bed time so iam kind of out of it. any ideas as to why the bike would work that way and also what the two connocters are for???
    thanks!!!
    " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
    xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
    8mm msd wires
    tkat fork brace...
    Fox shocks...
    mikes650 front fender
    led's gallore...
    renthal bars
    gold valve emulators
    vmax tensioner
    Rifle fairing

I'm not sure what that 'other' 3-pin connector is, if you could give us colors (?) maybe we could figure it out. IIRC, there shouldn't be two connectors the same in the bucket.

The single female butt connectors are for accessories, the red is unswitched and the blue is switched.

Comment

the other connector is brown blue and red. and it is in the headlight bucket. don't know if it's where it's supposed to be but that is where it is. all those wires are crammed in there tight. maybe some are not supposed to be in the bucket??? i don't have a good pic of how it's supposed to be.
      and theclymer manual doesn't have a pic of it...???
      " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
      8mm msd wires
      tkat fork brace...
      Fox shocks...
      mikes650 front fender
      led's gallore...
      renthal bars
      gold valve emulators
      vmax tensioner
      Rifle fairing

Comment

i'm fairly sure, but I'm far away from my bike, that connector goes to the main ignition switch. Has any other re-wiring been done?

Or, what is your ignition switch plugged in to?

Look at the wiring diagram in your Clymer's, you'll see the main switch connector is red-blue-brown.

Comment

it wasn't rewired it was just plugged in wrong. hw must have unplugged everything put the new bucket on and plugged the light and the ignition backwards. it used to dim a little when i would pull up to the stop sign. i do 99% of my riding at night. i work nights at the toyota plant in the qa department. as you rev it it gets much brighter. but now after switching the wires it works and does not dim at all. and the warning light is off.

79 xs11 standard
          8mm msd wires
          tkat fork brace...
          Fox shocks...
          mikes650 front fender
          led's gallore...
          renthal bars
          gold valve emulators
          vmax tensioner
          Rifle fairing

Comment

Are you talking about the 3 prong plug to the headlight itself having a 'twin'?

If there was a cable connected to your headlight, going to what looked like another headlight connector, you may have the adaptor on there for a Vetter Windjammer!

The Vetters had an extension cable that extended the headlight cable to reach into the fairing. The PO may have left that on when he took the fairing off and installed the stock style bucket.

It would certainly take up a lot of room in your headlight bucket.
            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

No, my question was:

If your headlight is plugged into your ignition, what's your ignition switch plugged in to? How is the bike even working?

Comment

no i was saying the re/blue/brown was connected to the yellow black green or whatever it was. there are two connectors in there or 2 pairs i should say. they were switched. plugged in wrong... i might have to take a pic to show everyone...

79 xs11 standard
                8mm msd wires
                tkat fork brace...
                Fox shocks...
                mikes650 front fender
                led's gallore...
                renthal bars
                gold valve emulators
                vmax tensioner
                Rifle fairing

Comment

ok... let's see if i can break it down.... themale end coming off the back of the headlight green yellow black was plugged into the pwer part for the ignition. red blue brown, and the switch part of the ignition was pluggen into the power part for the headlight. it may actually be the ignition i haven't traced it back yet but you said the red blue brown was ignition...??? does it make sense now?

79 xs11 standard
                  8mm msd wires
                  tkat fork brace...
                  Fox shocks...
                  mikes650 front fender
                  led's gallore...
                  renthal bars
                  gold valve emulators
                  vmax tensioner
                  Rifle fairing

Comment

Working...
                  X