rattling clutchpack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rattling clutchpack

my clutch rattles when idling, have eighth of inch play at the handle. any pointers
    79 xs 1100 spec & 80 xs 1100 g

"Freeplay at the lever doesn't mean anything."

I'd pull the clutch cover and see what's going on in here.
    I don't mean that cover that's held on by two screws... I mean the Big Clutch Cover.
    I recall there was a recent thread about someone's Clutch Hub Nut coming loose and the clutch basket rattlin' around.
    (And if you're real nice about it, you might be able to reuse the gasket)
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I'd check the big nut too. If it's tight check to see if you can wiggle the whole basket, it won't take much. The bushing in the back side of the basket might be worn and flopping on the shaft.
      79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
      79 SF parts bike.

Comment

are they anything technical about removing the basket cover? or just the simple , drain oil, then remove the allen screws,and thats it. of course i got to unhook the cable.

Comment

With bike learning on side stand no need to drain oil. Remove cable, screws and loosen bolt so foot peg will hang down. Hold kick start shaft in so the spring won't pop off when pulling off side cover. If it does, spring is not hard to put back on. Pay attention were flat on kick shaft is before you start. A LIGHT film of grease on old gasket will prevent leaks on reassemble.
          79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
          79 SF parts bike.

Comment

thanks

ill try to get it done this evening ,i been up allnite. post results when finished.

Comment

Hi Rowdyboy,

Generally a clutch which rattles at idle but quietens down above idle will be MUCH better if the carbs are synched......

There is always a lot of backlash in the clutch and primary drive.......... If the cylinders are pulling at different rates, the noise is BAD!

AlanB
              If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Working...
              X