Fuel level in float bowl should be ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel level in float bowl should be ??

I am going thru the carbs again and I want to set the floats for proper fuel level. I could not recall what this is supposed to be, so here I am askin. Is it level with the top of the float bowl? or something else?
    Oh yeah, it is a 78 E model.
    Miles to Go, Fuel to Burn

You have the older carbs and I think the measurement is 25.7?You can find it in the maintainance section I believe.Just do a search or click through the front page menu .You measure them with carb upside down and the floats resting on needles.Measure from the gasket surface on the carb(gasket removed).
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

float level

Yes, 25.7mm. Make sure you check both sides of each float.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks for the measurement. I will start with that, but I want to get them a little more accurate using the clear tube method to see where the gas level really is. Can I set even with the parting line, or should they be lower than that?
        Miles to Go, Fuel to Burn

Comment

2fast,

The clear tube method is suggested for the later models that have the drain cock & nipple on the float bowl.

With the 78E & 79F, no need to check fuel level with the clear tube, set the floats per spec.

Comment

Originally posted by 2fast
            Thanks for the measurement. I will start with that, but I want to get them a little more accurate
            For starters, don't worry too much about what the actual setting is. Your first goal is to get all 8 lobes of the four floats all to the same setting, whatever that is. Pay attention to lobes that might be a bent a bit that might hang up, watch for gasket protruding into the swing path of the lobes, ensure that the surface of the tang is smooth where it contacts the end of the float valve needle.

With everything set to within 0.5mm of each other, sync it up and run the bike for a while. See how it performs. Check the sparkplugs for colour. Check your fuel consumption.

Then, you can decide if the float setting you used is the ideal one for your bike and its particular combination if air filter, exhaust system, installed pilots, elevation, etc.

If your fuel consumption is high and your plugs are black, you will probably want to start by resetting the floats at least 1mm "leaner" or more. Try that first, then consider working with the main jets or needle position. Do these things one at a time so you can tell what is making a difference and how much.

YMMV
            Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
            X