Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 1979 XSElevenF.......Std? Not anymore.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1979 XSElevenF.......Std? Not anymore.

Bought her 5 years ago as just a ride , then I discovered what an XS is.
    So time to make her as good as if not better than new.

I am in the process of THE rebuild on my 79F, I have spent many hours on this site reading the relevent posts in regards to mods.
    So my shopping list grew and the credit card took a bashing.
    I have purchased what I think are the best first mods. In order of preferance
    I was going to do the gearbox mod , but after dismantling the box, discovered that the PO had replaced the weak gears with newer Yamaha factory modified gears, so that was not needed, but did replace one c - clip which had been left out at last assembly, and removed the kick start gears.
    So my list looked like this
    1 Mikes XS High output coils
    2 Solid core leads 8mm ( Sadly I could not get red)
    3 new 90* caps.
    4 T - Kat fork brace.
    5 XS850 Diff
    6 Jardine 4-1 to replace a beaten up existing 4-1 that was rusting sadly and way too loud.
    7 Longer (15mm) rear shocks to change the rake giving a quicker turn in for the twisty roads that dominate the New Zealand roading system.( our longest straight road is only 50 miles!)
    8 New brake seals, pads and have had discs surfaced. Front and rear. New lock tabs for discs.
    9 New wheel bearings and seals
    10 New clutch pack with new springs.
    11 New switch blocks ( Mikes XS)
    12 New steering head bearings and seal. ( yes there is one there, but is not found on any finches or parts list)
    13 New engine gaskets, carb gaskets.
    14 Removal of the oil cooler,( over kill for our temperate climate)
    New air filter in std air box, with three 1" holes drilled in base for better air flow.
    15 Heated hand grips ( I get white finger from an old injury in the cold)
    16 Cut down seat. ( dont believe in pillions)
    17 Stainless steel bolt kit for all external engine bolts

I have also removed the rear fender and have fitted a harley fender in the same style as Da-Bubble's bike that is well liked by you guys.
    Twin headlight unit, bullet signal lamps also like Da-Bubble's bike with black upon black and the red trims to the now black wheels.
    Not a copy of Da-Bubble's bike, but using his ideas and formula.
    So with a few other mods, a fresh coat of paint on the frame, engine and body work. I will have her back on the road very very soon.
    So Da-Bubble. you can take some credit for this, as you have a sweet looking ride. I loved it the moment I read your thread.
    Future mods, next year when the Credit card is back down will be.
    Bridgestone Battleaxe 45 tyres ( current tyres still have a seasons ride left in them)
    Floating discs ( yeap Mikes XS again!)
    Fuel lines
    Stainless steel brake lines
    Hydralic Clutch conversion with stainless steels lines
    Rewound alternator stator ( to improve the poor output of the std one) Will give a report on this when done for you all as it can be done to the factory alternator, increasing the output significantly.

The reason I have gone so far with this bike is it had a complete engine recondition by PO when the gearbox blew, and as we know, gearbox bits in the engine dont do nice things.This ended up with him high siding it. This resulted in the front ending up bent, but no other structural damage. So reconed forks were fitted at the same time. The bike has done 178000k .
    I bought it not knowing the models reputation, after finding this site, reading about what it had done, how it had changed the way people looked at "fast" bikes , its continuing fan base, I believed I had a ride that I could stick with for many a passing mile.
    So research and this forum gave me the ideas, incentive and knowlage of how to make my ride special to me, but also a ride that many others would look at and Know what it is.
    Also It has already proved, more than once, to be able to mix it with more modern rides on a reasonably equal footing. But not on the longer straghts.

I am looking forward to this comming seasons Biker Ralleys where it will appear in its new form. I believe it will be much to the surprise of many cheque book riders who have no inmagination past the std mods and few clip on bits the apply to their plastic fantastics.
    I also want to put her on the Dyno again and see if she will pass the 86BHP at the rear wheels she posted last time.

Pics?

Sorry no, not untill ts finnished, then I will get some profesional pics done.

Many thanks to all of you people who have helped make this happen because you all love the Bikes we ride.
    http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/DSC00009.jpg
    1980 XS1100 Std English Assembled, 378k miles
    In stock untouched contion.
    http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/seatside.jpg
    1979 XS1100F Std NZ new,
    Mikes XS coils
    Jardine 4-1
    Pod filters
    Harley Davidson Rear Fender
    Bullet signal lights
    Twin 75mm headlights
    Self made single seat

Can't wait to see the pix!
    Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
    1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
    23mm float height
    120 main jets
    42.5 pilot jets
    drilled stock airbox with K&N
    Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
    spade fusebox
    1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

I have been wondering about rewinding the alternator. The inner magnet looks relatively easy to rewind, but the outer stator may be tougher. Do you plan on rewinding both, or just one?

I am eagerly anticipating your ideas, and results.
      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by subike View Post
        17 Stainless steel bolt kit for all external engine bolts
        Where can I find a set of stainless/chrome looking bolts? Mine look like the dog et em.
        Sam Christensen
        The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
        If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

Comment

No hurry!!

Take your time, the results are well worth it.
          78 XS1100E Standard
          Coca Cola Red
          Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
          http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
          http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
          http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by digitalsam View Post
            Where can I find a set of stainless/chrome looking bolts? Mine look like the dog et em.
            Here's a set on ebay. Item number 370254811740. Only $35 for the set.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Impressive list

Hi subike,
              seems you have poured your heart (or at least, a small fortune,) into that bike and I wish you joy of it.
              As to your next wish list, s/st braided brake lines are about the best value-for-money upgrade there is.
              E-search "vintage brake" to communicate with Michael Morse in the USA who revamps bike brakes for a living.
              And new tires are better than 5 year old tires even if there is another seasons worth of wear left on them.
              Talk to Geezer on this list about using his improved replacement regulator/rectifier to improve your charging.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                Here's a set on ebay. Item number 370254811740. Only $35 for the set.
                I ordered that kit. If you want your bolts to match you're gonna need to visit their website to get the tranny bolts. All the bolts in their kit are 5mm. When they say engine they mean JUST engine. You can find out what size you need from bikebandit fiches or others.
                Last edited by xs11bobber; 09-10-2009, 06:21 PM.
                Josh Yoquelet -- I'm having dreams of my XS
                '79 XS11SF "stock"- 4/1 Kerker, T.C.'s fuse block
                '79 XS11SF "bobber"- Rotted in a pine tree for 10 years
                '81 Air forks w/23,000 miles
                New steering head races and bearings
                '78/'79 standard wire harness
                Drag bars, w/Mikes controls
                T.C.'s fuse block
                PNM Coils
                7mm Dyna Wires
                NGK Resistor Caps
                Custom 1" clutch and 9/16" MC

http://xs11bobber.tripod.com

Comment

That post almost brought a tear to my eye. I know exactly what you mean about the cheque book writers & their bikes. You got the exact reason why I got my XS1100 MNS & have done things to it with my imagination to make it mine & mine only. These bikes are "special" You hit the nail on the head & thats why people will walk by a $30,000 cheque bike to go over to look at yours. Hell I even got a phone call a couple wks ago to put mine in an antique bike & car show cause of its age & status. As she stated ' for sure people will want to look at your bike' - had to say no as its still in shop getting bored out. Keep the faith - Dan
                  '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
                  1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
                  Rebuilt head, valves
                  TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
                  Tkat Fork Brace
                  T.C. Spade Fuse Box
                  Dyna Coils & wires
                  Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
                  ISO grips with stelleto ends
                  4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
                  Bridgestone Spitfires
                  Tuned by Tinman905
                  & a will to keep it.

Comment

Working...
                  X