My fuel gauge $u(#$!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My fuel gauge $u(#$!

Well I generally go by the odometer for estimating when to refuel on my '82 XJ1100...My computer controlled LCD dash is way off.I can fill my gastank to the brim and have the bar gauge read full (4 bars).Riding down the road less than 5 miles from the gas station and already the bar gauge is down to 3 bars.By the time I have actually used 1 gallon..the bar gauge says I only have 1/2 tank eft...ok so the freaking thing aint working right...what can I do?Or is it the gauge never was all that accurate to begin with?IIRC it did work correctly at one point ....
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Mine was doing the same thing until one day about a month ago when I got a floaty noise from somewhere around the inside of the gas tank I'll add that to the list of "small" things I'll have to fix. It was hard to retrain myself to use the odometer to know when to fill up again. Still not sure if my fuel is "on" or in "reserve"'yet either.
    Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
    while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

Originally posted by barberad
      Mine was doing the same thing until one day about a month ago when I got a floaty noise from somewhere around the inside of the gas tank I'll add that to the list of "small" things I'll have to fix. It was hard to retrain myself to use the odometer to know when to fill up again. Still not sure if my fuel is "on" or in "reserve"'yet either.
      AS for knowing when you're on reserve...with the petcocks in the on position and operating the bike...you simply wait 'til the bike starts stuttering under any throttle...then switch the petcocks to RES. and go find the next gas station
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Ooooh...the way it is now, my LCD gage goes from full to empty by the time the bike finishes it's self test...not very good fuel efficiancy
        Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
        Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
        while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

On the standards, we have about a gallon in reserve, specials / XJ's must have something near that? Not really a cause for concern, even if you're getting as low as 20MPG.

Comment

Ben,
            I have to admit mine is fairly accurate, so far. I remember reading the in the manual somewhere what voltage or resistance that you can measure to test the operation of the float. I'll have to scoot out to the garage to look it up.

Cheers,

Paul
            Paul
            1983 XJ1100 Maxim
            1979 XS1100 Standard
            1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by randy
              On the standards, we have about a gallon in reserve, specials / XJ's must have something near that? Not really a cause for concern, even if you're getting as low as 20MPG.
              Randy...actually I think its more like a 1/2 gallon in reserve.
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Ben,

From my Factory XJ Shop Manual. Test resistance from sending unit (black and green wires from tank)

Full should read 20 ohms

Half should read 160-180 ohms

Empty should read 300-330 ohms

HTH

Paul
                Paul
                1983 XJ1100 Maxim
                1979 XS1100 Standard
                1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by blue giant
                  Ben,
                  I have to admit mine is fairly accurate, so far. I remember reading the in the manual somewhere what voltage or resistance that you can measure to test the operation of the float. I'll have to scoot out to the garage to look it up.

Cheers,

Paul
                  See? I knew your XJ was better than mine...LOL I'll bet this one aint in the tech tips
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by blue giant
                    Ben,

From my Factory XJ Shop Manual. Test resistance from sending unit (black and green wires from tank)

Full should read 20 ohms

Half should read 160-180 ohms

Empty should read 300-330 ohms

HTH

Paul
                    Thanks Paul...I'll be checking that out...dont know if the unit in the tank needs to be replaced or not...Anybody ever replace one?
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Unit is easy to replace but hard to find one to replace it with.

My XJ starts reading bad about once a year. I run the fuel low or drain the tank and take the tank off, turn it upside down and remove 4 screws that fasten the unit to gas tank. The gasket is rubber so you can re-use it. Pull out the float assembly and you can carefully remove the metal cover over the resistance components and clean the resistance wire and contact arm with electrical contact cleaner and toothbrush GENTELY.
                      I seem to always have a buildup of fine almost powdery substance built up on the resistance wire. Always wondered if it has something to do with the ethanol fuel in Minnesota?

The other problem on XJ fuel gauge is the float has a tendency to slide down the arm because the fastener that holds it in place is not gripping the float arm.

I have run mine down till the fuel warning light comes on and have little under a gallon left in tank.
                      XJ1100 Ruby Red
                      XS1100LH "Midnight"
                      1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

Thanks Cruiser..good info
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                        X