New member...potential purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member...potential purchase

Hello all. New member here seeking info on a potential XS1100 purchase.
    I'll do a full introduction shortly...on night shift right now and headed to bed soon!
    What I'd really like is some input on a potential XS1100 purchase.
    I plan to go look at the bike in person in the next day or two. It's a 1979 Standard, billed as "ultra reliable". The owner purchased it in 1983. He says all maintenance has been done by him and is up to date. It has a full fairing and luggage (I'll most likely remove the fairing...I prefer a naked bike), both Yamaha parts (well, fairing by Vetter for the Yamaha dealer). New tires a few years ago but only a couple thousand miles on them. All electrical works.
    The bike is navy blue, has ~35K miles on it and is completely stock except for a 4-2 exhaust that he can't remember the make of. He says it needs nothing, just get on and go.
    Asking price is $1949.

Is 35K a lot of miles for these bikes? I didn't think to ask about the clutch...would it need replacing by now?
    Is the price fair? I'm in motorcycle country and vintage bikes tend to be a tad higher than some other areas.

I know how to check out a bike in general...is there anything SPECIFIC to the XS1100 I should check?

Thanks for your help! I'll be back with an intro, maybe some pics of the bike and more later on....

Hi uberkafer
    Can take a look here (click link)

http://www.xs11.com/tips/misc/misc2.shtml

I use to think guys with wind shields or fairings were

Then a friend droped off a wind shield at my shop. I stuck it on a shelf. Few weeks later things were slow at work, shop cleaned up, paper work....(never gets caught up ) so decided to put it on my G. Went for a test ride. Was not impressed but left it on. After trying it out on the freeway and a few other roads it kinda grew on me. Now have two 79 specials with fairings and thinking I might put a mini I have on the shelf on one of the others.

mro

Comment

These bikes were built VERY well. A lot of people have well over 100k on them, and some have over 200k on them. In an era where 50k usually meant a worn out motor, this was unheard of.

The bike is worth what you think it is. I personally wouldn't pay that much for a 30 year old bike unless it looked like it belonged in a museum, but that is up to you to decide. If you are set on an XS, and can wait a few months, the prices should be coming down during the fall and winter months.

Even if you do find one that is a bit wore out, they are rebuildable. Wiseco offers piston kits that has the cylinders bored to an 1179cc or an 1196cc.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Well you *may* be looking at a biased opinion but I love my xs11. I started with an xs650. After rattling my teeth loose for 2 years I decided I wanted something smoother. The xs11 fit the bill. Its sexy and super smooth with the 4 cylinder shaft drive. I have still never found another bike that runs a smooth.

The xs11 has also been my most reliable ride. None of the work I have done to it were show stoppers and I always had plenty of advanced warning. So far it seems pretty straight forward to maintain.

The only issue I have with the bike is that parts can be difficult to find sometimes. Let me qualify that a bit. Ebay can be helpful, partsnmore has some good stuff, and bikebandit picks up the rest. Some stuff just isnt made anymore so you cant buy it new. If you can find it used sometimes its difficult to used AND better condition that what you have. It just takes some searching some times that all. The XS650 on the other hand still has loads of parts with multiple options from several different sites. I never had to look very long to find exactly what I needed.

I hope you make the purchase. You surely wont be disappointed.
        '80 XS Special
        JonathanKnez@hotmail.com

Comment

forgot to mention the price.... ~$2k may be a bit high but you have some flexibility since it comes with the fairing and luggage. Could be good for longer road trips or take it off and shot around town with it.

I paid $1500 for mine (no fairing). The PO had maintained it well so for $1500 I got a bike with no issues that I just ride for years. I would buy it all over again in a heartbeat. I would actually buy another if I thought the Mrs. wouldnt flip out. Personally I would rather pay more for a bike that runs as it should now than paying less for one that needs some work. I like to experience the bike when its *normal* so I can spot a change when something needs work.
          '80 XS Special
          JonathanKnez@hotmail.com

Comment

I don't know if this really affected this year of bike but,
            don't forget the transmission... I didn't know about it till i got familiar with this site. Mine has the first gear bug (only keeps my wrist from rolling till I get going), I haven't gotten around to the fix yet as I'm a little intimadated. Once you ride the bike though you will be hooked. As far as the price goes, look at all the flaws on the bike, add the age of the bike (but long time owner is a very good thing) and make your offer. This is most definatly NOT one of those 50 MPG motorcycles people talk about. especially once you get used to the power rush. But on the flip side, I strangly have guys on new harleys always giving me compliments on my bike.
            Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
            Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
            while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

Originally posted by mro
              Hi uberkafer
              Can take a look here (click link)

http://www.xs11.com/tips/misc/misc2.shtml

I use to think guys with wind shields or fairings were

mro
              Right...I've seen that link and a few others like it. Is there anything on an XS11 that I should check that's not on the UJM motorcycle checklist?

I have a gun-fighter style fairing I didn't use on my cafe' racer project. I've considered using it....we'll see.....
              Which reminds me; I need to finish my update so you can see my other toys!

Comment

Trbig and nezzer, I'm actually an XS650 guy myself and I'm also on the East Coast. While I'm really happy with the parts availability and ease of work/maintenance they provide. But they ARE a bit buzzy for longer trips.
                Again, in my area you may occasionally find a steal on a used bike, but they tend to run higher here....we have near year round riding weather and now that gas prices are going up, so are used bike prices.
                And after several projects of varying degrees over the years (VW and motorcycle related), I'm ready to pay a few bucks more for the right bike that needs NOTHING or near nothing.
                I'll be sure to ask about the first gear...I've heard there may be an issue with it but I need to search the site about that.

Be back soon with a formal intro!

Comment

OK, here's the bike I'm thinking about. It's a Craigslist ad and is less than an hour from me. The original ad states:
                  "Ultra Reliable 1979 Yamaha XS1100. Navy blue with full fairing, hard side bags, highway pegs, fog lamps, and more. This bike gets great gas mileage and is super easy to ride. Call Harold for more info"

And here are some pics:

Comment

I'm ready to pay a few bucks more for the right bike that needs NOTHING or near nothing
                    Ummmm... Except maybe a new seat cover?? Looks like MAC headers and Harley mufflers.

Tod
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Actually, I asked about the seat cover...the stcok seat is in great shape underneath!

Comment

Derwat paid $1400CDN for his '79 Special, last year, naked, and couldn't be happier. His runs like a top.

I sold him my old Windjammer.

I paid $500 for mine, 2 years ago, plus $500 for the fairing and luggage, $300 for a used motor, etc.

I think I have between $2000-$3000 into it now....and it still doesn't run quite right, but mine was badly treated by the PO(s).

Things to look for:

1st and/or 2nd can develop a problem where they kick out of gear. Hard to diagnose on a test run, unless you know what your doing. This is fairly easy to fix, but can be useful to lower the price!

The tranny on these is pretty clunky and easy to get between gears until your used to how it shifts.
                        As with any used vehicle a compression test is not a bad idea, bring a battery charger to get even results.

The usual oil leaks, funny noises (not the valve train, that's normal!)

DO NOT get rid of the bags and fairing. You may not want them now, but they are rare and hard to replace later on. I bought mine 2 provinces away, and had help from users of this forum to help get them home.
                        Last edited by Crazcnuk; 09-01-2008, 12:47 PM.
                        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I'm used to clunky gears, riding XS650's. And I'd most definitely keep the hard bags. I'm looking for something that I can tour a little more on. The front fairing....well, maybe I'll just stick it in the attic.
                          It sounds like the ASKING price, key word "asking", is not that bad. Especially if it's drive away kinda deal. I don't mind minor tweaks and customization, but I'm done with big projects for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by trbig

Ummmm... Except maybe a new seat cover?? Looks like MAC headers and Harley mufflers.

Tod

Mac headers and harly muff's? How's that sound?

Anyways, i have had my bike for a little over a week and a half now. And i can honestly say that above all the bike's i've riden this one is by far the funnest. It's very powerfull quite (which i don't like i like loud pipes!), and accelerates smoothly. Now if it only had ape hangers and a fat tire it'd be perfect!

But yeah i paid 1300 for mine and stole it! But had to spend 500$ at the shop to get it serviced and the carb's synced and everything looked at and fixed. Some electrical issues with the signals. Nothen major but the carb issue. But yeah, you should get it man. You'll be glad you did!
                            Yes it's a damn nice bike, yes it's in REALLY good condition, yes it would be a shame to chop it, BUT damn how cool would it look with ape hangers?

Comment

don't trust anyone, it will need something, and you'll need to go over everything to verify, 1k to $1200 tops, if no 2nd gear problems. offer 750.00
                              "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                              History
                              85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                              79 yamaha xs1100f
                              03 honda cbr 600 f4
                              91 yamaha fzr 600
                              84 yamaha fj 1100
                              82 yamaha seca 750
                              87 yamaha fazer
                              86 yamaha maxim x
                              82 yamaha vision
                              78 yamaha rd 400