Fat Fuel Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fat Fuel Line

Fat, not phat. The fuel line running from the petcocks was rotting, so I ran down to to the local parts store and bought a few feet of line. The ID is the same, but the OD is much larger, about half an inch. I can barely shove both lines onto the Petcock tubes and can't get the butterfly clamps up there. Where can you buy thinner fuel line?

Also, both petcock lines run into a "T" fitting which combines into one line. The "T" fitting is a pain to work with and doesn't look very nice. I am also afraid that the line may crimp eventually and cut off fuel. Any suggestions?

Will post pix later.
    Sam Christensen
    The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
    If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

Go to an independent bike repair shop and by your hose there. It should be 1/4 inch urethane. The stuff I get is clear blue and it is supplied by Parts Unlimited. The hose will be thin enough to get on to both ports of the petcock. It sounds like you don't have an octopus in the fuel system, you just have the hoses plumbed directly to the carbs. If so, the best way to plumb the lines is to have the left petcock feed the right side carbs, and vice versa. Next is to cap off the FORWARD port of the petcock. That is Prime and you will not need it. Fuel will flow in the On and Res position on Special petcocks at any time, so Prime is not needed.
    That is how I have my Specials plumbed.

Comment

fuel line

Dennis Kirk carries a few different types of motorcycle fuel line. Here's a link, scroll about 1/2 way down. MotionPro brand is very good IMHO.

http://denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/cmn/pr...atId=41304&np=
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

you bought automotive line, i did the same thing, any motorcycle dealer should have them
        "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
        History
        85 Yamaha FJ 1100
        79 yamaha xs1100f
        03 honda cbr 600 f4
        91 yamaha fzr 600
        84 yamaha fj 1100
        82 yamaha seca 750
        87 yamaha fazer
        86 yamaha maxim x
        82 yamaha vision
        78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Another suggestion I've seen is from NAPA store, the fuel line for early Volkswagens are supposed to be the thinner walled stuff. Just remember NOT to use any vacuum hose lines, they are just regular rubber, and will harden and crack very quickly when exposed to GAS!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I got some nice yellow line from a local tractor supply and fix up shop. Can't remember the name but the owner said its the primo stuff, doesn't kink. Its been working great on mine so far. Also got the inline filters from him too.
            Ernie
            79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
            (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

I agree with above, the MotionPro line is top notch. It retains its elastisity for a VERY LONG time and doesn't kink as easily.
              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I got some nice yellow line from a local tractor supply and fix up shop.
                Also commonly known as TYGON. Marine supply houses carry it, too.

Comment

Tygon!!!!

Thanks Randy, I thought it started with a T but just couldn't get it out of the memory banks. I suffer slightly from sometimers.
                  Ernie
                  79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
                  (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

The reason the feul line from the manufacturer has a spring on it is to prevent kinking
                    Pat Kelly
                    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Muchos Gracias

Great, thanks guys. Crossing the lines from right to left is a great suggestion. I can now lift the tank off of the bike an inch or so without the hoses pulling off. It is very handy.

Still having leaking when I forget to turn off the petcocks.

Unfortunately, now the bike is stalling when I let it idle in gear but not when it is in neutral. Will work on that and see if I can't fix it.

This site is great, you guys make a total noob feel like a shade tree mechanic. Very cool... Thanks.

If anyone need Graphic Design work done, let me know. Logos and such. I can't offer mechanical advice, but am glad to offer what I can.
                      Sam Christensen
                      The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
                      If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

Comment

Working...
                      X