18" front wheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18" front wheel?

I noticed the xs500 and 400 have an 18'' in front, but one disc. Sometimes the right side disc holes are there, but coverd up. I can't get a large enough pic to know. What I aim to do is have a 18" front from a smaller xs, and a 18" rear from a xs 750 on my 1100.

I answered my own question. It does have bolts for a second disc. Has anyone done this mod? I figure you could end up with two 18" wheels xs style mag for little money and little to no mod.

Comment

Hi Bad,
      I seem to remember that the XS400 front wheel only has a 15mm axle rather than the XS650 & up's 17mm. About the brake disk bolt circle, is it the same? Is it on both sides? What about the hub width? I dunno. But best you buy the wheel of your choice and find out before you do anything irreversible to your bike. If the wheel ain't right you can always sell it off again and hopefully not lose your shirt thereby.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hi Bad,

I have an 18" XS400 wheel in an FZR fork on my '81 SG.

It IS possible, but not too easy.

Get in touch if you would like to try some machining........

AlanB
        If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

The XJ has 19" rims... but the spokes are curved. Some like them.. some don't.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I figure any changes would be made to the wheel itself. If the axle doesn't fit I'll get new bearings to fit the axle, and spacersalso if needed. I did this mod on my Suzuki GS, but it was more of a direct swap. If /when I get this done I'll post pics. MY XS is taking a backseat at the moment,to a pair of suzuki GS 's (mine) and a custom chopper ( not mine).

Comment

Hi Badbrown,

There IS a bearing available which has the same outer diameter as the XS400, and a 17mm spindle diameter.

It is not "standard" bearing size, but Suzuki used 'em on one model of the GSXR11...... or they did over here! I got mine from the Suzi dealer, so they were expensive, but cheaper than the machining work to fit cheap bearings.

I think it was the "K" model, but I am not certain.

AlanB
              If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

18 incher

Hello, Was searching for info on this mod... I have an XS400 rim and it is not drilled or machined to accept a 2nd rotor. I think that will be the tricky part...As for bearings, I am using a pair of SKF 6004-2RSH with the centres bushed to 17mm.
                AlanB? Any tips? Will I need a spacer/shim after hub rework?
                Regards,
                Tdog
                '81 H

Comment

Originally posted by Tdog View Post
                  Hello, Was searching for info on this mod... I have an XS400 rim and it is not drilled or machined to accept a 2nd rotor. I think that will be the tricky part...As for bearings, I am using a pair of SKF 6004-2RSH with the centres bushed to 17mm.
                  AlanB? Any tips? Will I need a spacer/shim after hub rework?
                  Regards,
                  Tdog
                  alan knows more about this mod, but I know for sure there are xs400 models that already have double discs. Don't know the prefixes however.
                  XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
                  MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
                  Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
                  Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
                  Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
                  Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

the easiest mod that will most definately work is to use an xs650 yam wheel- the axle will fit with very little machining down on it. and the discs will bolt right up from your stock wheel. and yes alot of the xs650 wheels are setup for dual discs. whereas the xs400 wheel is not.

the xs400 has a smaller axle size than the xs650 does

youd be better off to use the xs650 wheel.

i did this mod to put one on a virago frontend- worked great..

if i could figure out a way to get a shafty spoked rear wheel to adapt to my xs1100 i would run sopokes front and back on my bike.

Comment

It's the same wheel

Originally posted by blackchop2 View Post
                      the easiest mod that will most definitely work is to use an xs650 yam wheel- the axle will fit with very little machining down on it. and the discs will bolt right up from your stock wheel. and yes a lot of the xs650 wheels are setup for dual discs. whereas the xs400 wheel is not.
                      the xs400 has a smaller axle size than the xs650 does
                      you'd be better off to use the xs650 wheel.
                      i did this mod to put one on a virago fron tend- worked great..
                      if i could figure out a way to get a shafty spoked rear wheel to adapt to my xs1100 i would run spokes front and back on my bike.
                      Hi Blackchop,
                      the front 7-straight spoke cast wheels for the XS650, XS750, XS850 & XS1100 are identical. And they are all 19".
                      The XS650 front wire wheels will also plug right into any of the bigger capacity XS series bikes.
                      You can get a rear wire wheel by throwing money at it. Get a cast wheel & cut the hub out of it.
                      Turn two circular registers on the hub & TIG weld two spoke rings on them.
                      Lace up the rim of your choice.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Wire wheels OK?

Originally posted by badbrown View Post
                        I noticed the xs500 and 400 have an 18'' in front, but one disc. Sometimes the right side disc holes are there, but coverd up. I can't get a large enough pic to know. What I aim to do is have a 18" front from a smaller xs, and a 18" rear from a xs 750 on my 1100.
                        Hi Badbrown,
                        if you can live with a wire-spoked wheel, an XS650 front wire wheel hub will fit right into an XS11 fork with no changes needed. Then all you need to do is lace on an 18" rim to it. Like I posted to Blackchop, if you want to go to the expense you can get a laced rear wheel to match.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                        X