• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fj fork on xs1100

all right how many want a how to on the fj fork
    bill
    bill hane

I do I do....

don't know if I'll ever do it but I'd like to know how if I ever want to.

Is it that much of an upgrade, the FJ guys all want to switch to better forks as well, at least from what I've seen on some FJ boards.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

I would definitely be interested in doing an FJ fork conversion to a Standard. School us!
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Re: I do I do....

Originally posted by psycoreefer
        don't know if I'll ever do it but I'd like to know how if I ever want to.

Is it that much of an upgrade, the FJ guys all want to switch to better forks as well, at least from what I've seen on some FJ boards.
        The FJ forks are 40 mm units, much more rigid than the XS11 forks.

They also have anti-dive, and for all that some people complain about anti-dive they are better than preceding generation suspension.

4 pot calipers from a number of other models will bolt straight up to the FJ forks, I currently have GSXR 4 pots on mine.

The speedo drives should be compatible too.

The front end is a 16" unit though, so would require changes to fit the larger XS front wheel if you wanted to retain that size. Using the 16" unit would improve the quickness of the steering, but be careful that it doesn't induce tank slappers.

And yes a number of FJ owners do want front end upgrades, but there's poeople out there 'upgrading' the front end of near new sports bikes. 'Upgrades aren't always driven by realistic improvements, the FJ front end will perform more than adequately in 99% of conditions for 99.9% of riders. I've put 80's GPz9's with slightly modified but, essentially standard, front ends up the inside of many a naughties crotch rocket through the twisties. 25 years of riding like a nutter on the same bikes will always beat someone with 3 months experience on the latest crotch rocket. Crotch rockets are designed for perfect condition race tracks, not normal roads with pot holes, gravel/sand/wood/animals/tin tops, undulations etc etc etc. The biggest advantage that I have is that my bikes are still heavy enough to not get skittish in these conditions, I constantly hear the excuse 'but I couldn't put the power down through those dodgy corners'. Well that and 'You are farkin insane you farkin nutter'

Comment

I2I

Hey Dog, what is the eye to eye measurement of the caliper bracket mount points on those FJ forks.....
          MDRNF
          79F.....Not Stock
          80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Re: I2I

Originally posted by xschop
            Hey Dog, what is the eye to eye measurement of the caliper bracket mount points on those FJ forks.....
            85 FJ11 83mm/3.268"

Comment

extras

I forgot what the Busa's were. I will check in the morning. I have a extra set of the Black powdercoated ones.....
              MDRNF
              79F.....Not Stock

Comment

The FJ1100 and the early 1200 use a 16in wheel and anti-dive forks, whereas the later 1200's from 1988 on use a 17in wheel and no anti-dive. Your best bet is to use the later '88 on set up which is what i did on my FJ11. Also, the brakes are better as they use four pots on the '88 on and twin pots on the earlier versions, and you can also bolt on the blue spot calipers from modern Yams to the '88 on forks. I think you'll also find the forks to be 41mm, and can be used with either set of fork lowers.

Comment

fj

the fj fork can be mounted high in the tripple clamps and use regular handle bars
                  the spacer gives you 7/8inch it's with in a 1-1/2 -2 inches of stock xs the 16 inch wheel and tire workfine as whine also you could get a 120-90-16 tire pick up an inch the 4 pot fj are just slightlly better but you miss the point the 84-87 fj is so much better than what we have it makes your bike exciting to ride again to say no mode is perfect and there is always something better is an excuse so you don't have to do anything.
                  bill
                  bill hane

Comment

fork

sorry the fj forks from axel to top is one inch shorter but you can't mout them flush in the tripple clamps they have to stick trough about 1/2 inch but you also get a7/8 of an inch from the spacer did i mention the trippleclamp stem bearings are the same as the xs it a sweet cheap mod
                    but if you have money the bussa the way to go
                    i will start putting this in order

bill

ps i'm so happy i can walk again with just small limp
                    bill hane

Comment

mod

Thanks, Bill. I'm looking forward to doing this mod.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Busa 6-pots

The eye to eye measurement on the Busa brakes are 90mm.....
                        MDRNF
                        79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Re: fj fork on xs1100

Originally posted by snowdog51
                          all right how many want a how to on the fj fork
                          bill
                          Hi Bill,

There is a write-up on fitting a FZR fork to the XS11 on the UK site HERE!

Hope that helps.........

AlanB
                          If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Hi Bill. Yer old rotors look pretty fine on the old girl, eh. Thanks.

2-79 XS1100 SF
                            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

rotors

i loved them too they lok great on your bike

bill hane

Comment

Working...
                              X