To change or fix the tranny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To change or fix the tranny?

I was wondering if it would be easier to change out the transmission/ Gears as a whole unit or to do the "dog" fix?
    Would changing out the transmission require splitting the cases?
    I have read about the dog fix, but I am wondering about just getting a tranny making sure it's good, doing the swap, then saving the other for "next time".
    If I can get ahold of a tranny, that is.
    Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
    while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

The problem is that the "transmission" on a bike is one part with the crank case. If your going to just "swap" it you'd basically be swapping the entire motor.

The posted fix really is the easiest way to fix it. It could be made a little easier if you purchased new gears 1st/4th and 2nd/5th gears instead of grinding the dogs on the old ones then you just pull the shaft and put the new gears on then re-assemble.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

tranny gears

You don't have to split the cases. Remove the oil pan and the clutch and shifter covers and take out the whole countershaft. You can save money by re-surfacing the dogs and slots (about $15 in grinding stones) or buy new gears (about $90 apiece). I just re-surfaced my gears a few days ago, took about 2 hours. Relocate the 2nd gear washer while you're in there. Mine shifts like new now. Total labor time, about 8 hrs.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

This may be the right thread for this but I had a question about just swappin in new gears. I just did my fix a few weeks ago everything went ok, I didnt change the washer and everything works ok so Im good.

Thing is I considered just buying the new gears but it has always been my understanding. (and this is true). When you take a set of gears that has been meshed together there whole lives and suddenly replace only one of the pair.. you not only prematurely wear your new one but cause more wear to both as they attempt to wear together. I didnt want to replace only the gears on the countershaft and have brand new ones meshing with old ones.. But apparantly people do it all the time so has anyone had any adverse effects because of this?? noise or premature wear? .. Just thought Id ask since this is a good thread for it.
        XS1100 F/G (79 Bike/80 Motor)
        Grab a tetanus shot and jump on!!!

Comment

gears

I've never had or heard of anyone having problems with meshing old and new gears. I assume you're referring to the gear "teeth" and not the dogs and slots. Now the dogs and slots I wouldn't use old and new gears unless the old was ground down exactly to match the new. As for the 2nd gear washer, I'd say it will double the life of the 2nd/5th fix, especially if the bike is driven hard.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

Comment

Thought I'd pipe in here. Where are these new gears available at? Are they factory or aftermarket?

Comment

I just did this

Back in April I had replaced all my old gearsets with new factory backcut gears from Yamaha...rather than do the dremel fix...it did save a few hours...OFC we didnt know at the time that 2nd gear was installed backwards and that I only had 1st,3rd and 4th gears. So I replaced gearsets 1st-4th and gearset 2nd-5th...3rd was left alone...there are a # of thread dealing with this fix just do a search...BTW it is my understanding that if you replace all four gears with the new factory backcut ones...that it isnt necessary to move that washer to the other side of the 2nd gear.
              Last edited by madmax-im; 08-28-2008, 03:22 PM.
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

What was the total cost including gaskets and such. Just for information purposes??
                while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

new gears

Check this link for gears.... Put in motorcycle, year and model. They list the prices and availability.

http://www.yamahaaccy.com/parts.aspx
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

Comment

thanks Phil! very helpful site, cool trhat they had the tech bulletins as well. I haven't seen many sites that do that.

Off that subject for a minute. I've been trying to read up on it, but can you tell me what you think of the 750 FD? has your MPG gone up? and have you lost power any where?
                    Thanks again.

Comment

750 fd

Slight increase on the mileage, especially on the highway. Some loss of power on launch, more noticeable on my Standard because of 17" rear wheel vs. 16" Special wheel. I like the 750 fd on both bikes, always felt these bikes could use an extra gear. This is the next best thing.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

Comment

Working...
                      X