wheel weight diff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel weight diff.

i have searche and i can't find the weight of the maxim wheels...
    i have a 79 standard and i read they were about 40 pounds. if the weight savings is ok and since it will make it a little quicker i might swap them over. i will need new tires soon anyway. also the 79 has tubes and the maxim doesn't. so it'll save a little money too.
    " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
    xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
    8mm msd wires
    tkat fork brace...
    Fox shocks...
    mikes650 front fender
    led's gallore...
    renthal bars
    gold valve emulators
    vmax tensioner
    Rifle fairing

nobody
    " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
    8mm msd wires
    tkat fork brace...
    Fox shocks...
    mikes650 front fender
    led's gallore...
    renthal bars
    gold valve emulators
    vmax tensioner
    Rifle fairing

Comment

"Remember, a full tank of fuel weighs 30 poinds"

I don't think you're gonna find anyone here, who, off the top of their head can tell you what a rim weighs.

I've never had any love for guys who race two-strokes... but when some clown wanted me to remove his side stand so the bike would weigh less...
      "Hey pal, why don't you just "take a healthy one" before you race, or better yet...cut back on the Budweiser and fried pork rinds."

(Hey, it's 3:00AM, can't sleep and a little cranky...)
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

well i couldn't find any info on here about it, but after looking at ebay for an hour i founf out that the front wheel with both rotors minus the tire weighs 31 pounds. i found a standard rear wheel with rotor that said 27 pounds.
        i also asked the people selling the xj wheels if they could tell me the weight.

the weight differnce would be a side bonus. i will save money by not buying two tubes plus two tires... and i work night shift so it's almost time for bed. also i have went from 230 pounds in 06 to 167 two days ago so a healthy dump won't matter much.

79 xs11 standard
        8mm msd wires
        tkat fork brace...
        Fox shocks...
        mikes650 front fender
        led's gallore...
        renthal bars
        gold valve emulators
        vmax tensioner
        Rifle fairing

Comment

"Shedding weight"

So... you went from "Yamaha-double... to Yamaha-solo
          Good job!
          a healthy dump won't matter much
          You''ll find that as you get older... a healthy dump is all that matters!
          Hahahahahahaaaa
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Bathroom scale accuracy

Hi Yamahansolo,
            they are currently laying about in my garage so I took the bathroom scale to them.
            XS650/750/1100 7-spoke cast front wheel.
            Bare wheel; 12lbs
            Wheel + tire; 20lbs
            Wheel + tire + 2 disks; 36lbs
            Looks to me that the major weight-saving would be in replacing the stock disks with lighter aftermarket ones.
            On a related note, years back I swapped out my XS650 cast wheels for wire wheels from an earlier model. Just because I preferred the look of wire wheels. (and still do, but will stay with the security of tubeless tires in my old age) Anyhow, I check-weighed the cast wheels against the wire wheels. They weighed the same.
            Within the accuracy limits of a bathroom scale.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

thanks.
              i just need to get more parts sold off the xj so i can pull the wheels off of it and weigh them. i already have 2 sets of xj rotors so i'll use them.

79 xs11 standard
              8mm msd wires
              tkat fork brace...
              Fox shocks...
              mikes650 front fender
              led's gallore...
              renthal bars
              gold valve emulators
              vmax tensioner
              Rifle fairing

Comment

Working...
              X