Single Carb Fuel leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Carb Fuel leak

Ok, I fixed the fuel petcock leak! now when the petcock is off, the fuel does not leak. Woo hoo! But, when the fuel is on, the second carb from the left drips fuel (A drop per second, roughly) Not a big amount, but it drips right onto a hot engine... I think that is probably bad.

Any ideas? why is the one carb leaking? and more importantly, how do I fix it?
    Sam Christensen
    The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
    If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

You have an issue with your float valve not fully shutting off the fuel flow once the bowl has filled. This causes it to overflow and leak out the back of the carb and possibly the front and into the engine as well (see if your oil smells like gas cause this can be a bad thing if it's thinned out).

Are you running in line fuel filters? There is most likely something gunking up the needle and seat and causing it to not fully close. Either that or possibly that the needle and seat are worn, I'm not sure if you replaced them recently or not. The other thing is that if the floats drop too low they can kinda jam up and stick because of that. There is a tang on the float itself that you can bend to adjust how far it drops down. I can't seem to find the link to that right this second. I'm sure one of the guru's will be by and know off the top of their head. You can sometimes fix this by tapping on the carb lightly to free it up.

Oh and I think the o-ring that seals the seat into the carb body can get worn out and leak too, so that's maybe something to check out as well.
    Last edited by jwoell; 08-25-2008, 04:15 PM.
    '81 XS11 SH (XSelsior)

Comment

What he said.

Once you get the carbs off, flip them over and remove the float bowls. Hook up a fuel source and see what's goin' on in there.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Ok, thanks. The rubber boots that hold the carbs onto the engine are pretty old. Any suggestions on how I can remove them?
        Sam Christensen
        The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
        If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

Comment

Hey Sam,

I think you're pretty good with computers , try following
          This Link/thread to an ONLINE MANUALS source, follow username/pswrd instructions.

Also, there's an official Yamaha Online Parts FICHE, you can see all sorts of exploded views for your bike and it's components.
          http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx
          Just click go to parts section, select Motorcycles, Year, Model from the drop downs, and then peruse the info!!

Cracked Carb Boots TechTip !

Amazing what you can find in the TECH TIPS!!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
          X