'79 xs special electrical outrageousness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '79 xs special electrical outrageousness

So the PO omitted T fittings, switched vacuum lines, and it seems a lot of electrical BS as well.

1) The ignition ballast resistor is at 2.5 ohms

2) The voltage rectifier is Ohming all over the place, and some points give no reading at all. I noticed in the 3 prong connector, there are only 2 prongs and 2 wires (it's opposite piece has all 3).
    Also, one of it's attaching screws has what looks like 3 ground wires attached to it when a perfectly good frame ground is about 1" further away.

3) Is it possible to test the ICU? Figure thats shot as well.

Should I go find these on Ebay, or does someone have some good parts I can buy?

Thanks

I should have a good "stock" reg/rec. send me a PM and I'll look for it. You can also look at ebay, Item number: 170253471345, It seems cheap, should get to you soon.
    The ICU is usually pretty good, just the "normal" problems with old electronics, bad solder joints. If you take the cover off, you can heat up an reflow the solder on all the connectors. This is JUST the connectors to the wire harness, NOT the rest of the internal solder joints. You may also want to buy some "dielectric grease" and put that on ALL connections once you have them "cleaned". It will keep them from corroding again.
    The ground wires are a factory setup, so it's probably NOT a PO thing.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

The recitfier plug does have an extra wire, on the bike side, this is normal, no idea why.

The extra wire is also a ground, and Geezer's RnR unit uses that wire, but the stock box does not.
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
      X