'79 xs special octy...help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '79 xs special octy...help!

So after taking the time to unscrew a lot of "fixes" the POS PO made (like omitting the T joint in 2 fuel lines, so the foreward facing tank outs were hooked together) I am having a carb issue.

Currently, the vacuum line from the Octy goes to the number 2 carb and the line from the lower left side of the engine goes to the #2 boot. Is that correct? Seems wrong. Any other vacuum lines I should be concerned with. The Haynes manual wasn't very explanatory on the Octy.

I also bought the bike with the #4 pipe not warming up, and after a buddy knocked the bike over (dont ask) the #2 pipe doesn't warm. I know the cylinders aren't firing, checked the plugs and put on new known working coils, any ideas?

Reverse the two vacuum lines! Check the wires on the pickup coils, ignition coils and TCI, Check all the connections in between for corrosion. Do a search here for pickup coil wire fix (a common problem with these bikes) If you have a manual it will explain how to test the ignition coils, pick up coils and TCI as well.

Good luck!

Paul
    Paul
    1983 XJ1100 Maxim
    1979 XS1100 Standard
    1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

The vacuum line from the left side of the engine NEEDS to be connected to the CARB, NOT THE BOOT.
      Most of the people here will do what the PO did, except they will throw the octy in the nearest trash can and just turn the fuel off when parked.
      Try swapping out the plugs, and running a compression check on the engine. Don't forget to hold the throttle wide open during the check.
      I would expect you will need to go through and clean the carbs, replace the needle and seat, and reset the float height. That should take care of any gas problems. Remember, the two "T" fittings on the carbs are for gas and VENT, or air. The LOWER fitting is for gas, the UPPER fitting is for venting the carbs. These hoses MUST be open to the air or plugged into the fittings on the front of the stock airbox.
      Welcome to the site, and you may want to take a look from the MAIN forum page at the "Tech Tips", to learn a little more.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
      X