Turn signal cancel unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn signal cancel unit

I have an '81 H with turn signals that don't auto cancel. I tracked down a cancel unit but I can't find any place to plug it in. Where does this little box normally live?
    '81 XS1100 H
    Special Tank
    Special Headlight

Gixxer, You do still have the Yamaha Speedo, correct?? The auto cancel WILL NOT WORK without the correct speedo. You can use the round or square ones, as long as they are from an XS1100.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

With seat off, locate TCI.
      In front of TCI is a frame member.
      This cross member is where the self canceling unit is mounted.

Should have 5 wires on a six wire plug.
      Brown, black, yellow red, yellow green, white green

mro

Comment

How is this supposed to work?

Mine turns off when ever it feels like it. Sometimes not at all.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan

Mine turns off when ever it feels like it. Sometimes not at all.
          The self cancel units are time based, using a countdown timer, which is suspended when the speed drops below a certain point. The countdown timer is suspended so that your indicators don't cancel while you're sitting at an intersection.
          They do require 2 significant componenets - a speedo that will send out a signal to indicate whether speed is above or below the suspend speed, and an auto-centering, push to cancel indicator switchblock.

A dodgy signal from a dirty/deteriorated switchblock will cause the indicators to cancel, and check the earths for the indicator system are clean.
          A dodgy signal from the speedo, or the indicator switch not self-centering, can cause the indicators to stay on.

Comment

It shuts off the flashers based on the pulses it receives from the reed switch mounted on the backside of the speedo. The time it takes to turn off the flashers varies with speed. If the bike is not moving, they will not shut off. A search should reveal the answers to your questions.
            Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
            1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
            23mm float height
            120 main jets
            42.5 pilot jets
            drilled stock airbox with K&N
            Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
            spade fusebox
            1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

According to Yamaha the signal will cancel after 10 seconds or 164 yards which ever is greater.
              At very low speed it is deturmined by distance, at high speed by time.
              At low speed especially when changing speeds it;s deturmined by a combination of both.

mro
              Last edited by mro; 08-24-2008, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll go yank the seat off and see if I can find a connector, although I already looked in that area for something it would plug into. The bike didn't have the authentic speedo on it when I bought it but it does now.
                '81 XS1100 H
                Special Tank
                Special Headlight

Comment

Working...
                X