xs 1.1/1100 badgeing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs 1.1/1100 badgeing.

I am a new member from australia and am having difficulty finding out which models were 1.1 when it began and subsequenmtly ceased.
    I am a "new" owner although i currently own a 650 and 750. All models are 1981.
    With thanks Glenn, Australia

I have a 1980 G model, that is 1.1, draws a few comments so must not be that common

Comment

The 1.1 S or Sport in Europe is pretty much the same (I've just found out) - as the Austrialian 'RH' model and badged 1.1 too
      XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
      Guzzi 850
      Z1000

Comment

thanks for your replies. I was at a VJMC meet at Morpeth in NSW the other day andf I came across a 1.1 in the only colour/s I have seen. ie red and white. I know that it is probably a bit ephemiral???? but the simplicity of the bike impressed me and hence my question.
        To auxtian I live in Wollongong district NSW.
        Regards Glenn

Comment

glen
          i have 2 1981 xs1100rh s both are marked 1.1 also i have seen 1981h it was marked 1.1.i live in bangor sydney just up the road from woolongong near sutherland

Comment

Glen that was me at Morphett. There where some nice bikes there I had my 14 y/o daughter with me and she loved it, even didn't mind the rain

Comment

It seems that the 1.1 is meant to mean something but I dont know what exactly or is that xsactly. I have been taken by the appearance of the 100 for a while and I put some money on one at close motor cycles with a view to restoration.
              The bike you have I have a photo of with the gear sack. Hold it. There was a red and white, a red, and a blue 11oo. The two reds were parked side by side. I chatted with the fellow who owned the solid red and the fellow with the blue.
              One outstanding point in common was the pleasure both those owners had with the 1100.
              I was there with the xs650 club. Mine was a 81 special with a ding in the tank.
              Thanks for your help.
              Hope I might chat again and perhaps we can link up for a ride one time
              regards Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by glenn
                It seems that the 1.1 is meant to mean something but I dont know what exactly or is that xsactly.
                How about 1.1 liter displacement.
                Robert
                79 SF

Comment

OK. Noone seems to know what and where the 1.1 label appears as far as models go. I am just trying to work out is there anything special/different other than the 1.1 badge. Is it synonomous with a sports version, model colour or what
                  Thanks for the lesson Robert. lol
                  Glenn

Comment

Glen,
                    Theres probably somewhere on this site to find the info - I'm new too and am absolutely lost! (Doesn't help that I'm not a consistent user).

Anyway, I might be wrong but, the 'E' came out in burgundy & gold, with a sidecover transfer 'XS Eleven'. The 'F' came out in a slightly different shade of burgundy with 'XS 1100' in a transfer. All the other models G, H and RH, had the plastic '1.1' badge.

Don't rmember a red & white XS. Maybe red & silver? Mine ended up blue with red pin stipe for a few years

The 'eleven' was the big psychological selling point, in 1978. Well, it obviously got me - still has!

Bit worried about myself being able to recall this detail, yet I can't remember which parts I've order last week!

I just signed up for the NSW chapter of VJMC, since I hope my XS will be back on the road in about a month or so. The I can finish the RD250 that I started on about 10 years ago. Maybe we'll run into each other some time.

Ray B
                    Wagga
                    Ray B

'80 G
                    '72 RD
                    Tiger 900 & LH sidecar

Comment

1100 or 1.1

I agree with Tiger9 - I think it could just have been a fashion thing when they revised later models, rather than indicating much else.

The 1.1sport is a bit of an anomoly here as it did have some differences, different cam profile, larger valves moving peak torque much earlier in the rev range - same 95 horse output though. I've also recently read that the steering head angle on the 1.1s is steeper to give quicker steering (in 1981/82 terms anyway).

As Tiger9 says:

The 'eleven' was the big psychological selling point, in 1978. Well, it obviously got me - still has!
                      ..caught me too, as in '92 I said to a mate that I liked the 'understated' 1.1 on the side of a nice big burgundy and white bike we were looking at. Around 6 months later the same friend took me to visit a guy who wanted to sell the 1.1s - but needed some wheels for dispatch riding. A deal was done with my GS850 and the rest is history.

...All from admiring the understated '1.1' badge - marketing eh?
                      Guzzi 850
                      Z1000

Comment

xs1.1

thanks for your input. i have spoken to a few about the numbering and your reply seems to solve my question. You would be getting ready to ride for summer soon I guess. Come to Oz where you can only ride everyday(maybe not the wet ones).
                        Have you been a member long and have you found the info good. With my little knowledge I find it of great benefit. The only problem I have is that I want to get more bikes and I can only ride one at a time
                        Cheers Glenn

Comment

Oz riding

All year riding eh? Sounds better than over here, was snowing earlier (south London area) - so don't get too far with your thoughts of a beautiful UK summer day.

Have you been a member long and have you found the info good
                          Been contributing here since around October - after asking my burning question about my ill vacuum advance ignition unit (connected up wrongly ). So yeah - as far as I'm concerned, this little international self help group is invaluable and I'm answering where I can partly as I'm always interested in troubleshooting these sorts of frustrating things, and partly as pay-back for the help I got.

About to delve into the horrible world of ill carbs - so no doubt I will be back on the 'help me' side of the fence.
                          Guzzi 850
                          Z1000

Comment

I am So Lucky. I met a chap when I was running building sites who is just a whiz with xs650s. he has his original 76 xs and if it is a credit to him and his efforts. He knows his electronics like he wrote the book as well as the in and outs of the bike generally. All of this overflows onto other bikes as well.
                            Funny thing is as kids we lived within 1.5 ks of each other and even though we had heaps of friends in common we never met.
                            Maybe Forest Gump was right about the box of chocolates.Currently I am thinking about a 750 conversion along with rephasing the crank and some cylinder head mods to go with it. the big move here seems to be using the european connecting rods with an 840/880 conversion. And luckily a couple of people have come up with an ignition system to complement all this.
                            Its raining cats and dogs here as I write. Guess I will have to drem of riding.
                            My people originally came from Bradford. In the last century.
                            Cheers for now

Comment

Working...
                            X