Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at another XS - Grinding noise when riding

Hey all,
    I'm looking at another XS I found for sale near me. I've talked to the guy on the phone and he says it runs strong but makes a "grinding" noise when you ride it. The add said tranny problems so I thought 1st/2nd gear but it appears thats not the case...

Any ideas what would make a grinding noise? I'd like to have some idea before I consider making an offer.

I plan to check:
    1. The brakes - a hung up brake pad thats worn out could make a grinding noise.
    2. Roll it in neutral - Might help figure if its in the tranny or the final or middle drives.
    3. Check final and middle drive fluids.
    4. If its got a center stand spin the tire in the air - see if I can locate noise?
    5. is there any way to check the rear wheel bearing without taking the wheel off the bike?

I suppose I could part it out if its in OK shape.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

It runs strong, so why part it out? The grinding is not in the engine if it only grinds when riding. Pads, rotors, wheel bearings, even middle and final drive replacement are quick fixes. could also be the u-joint.

Comment

Randy,
      Any tips on how to check these things out before buying the bike? I don't want a money pit. I guess a lot will be decided on how it looks/runs. I'm going to try and talk him into letting me run it around the parking lot there so I can hear the "grinding" for myself.

The only thing that worries me is if its a rear wheel bearing they are expensive and rare from what I've read.

I've just been looking some search results and maybe its final drive/ drive shaft splines.
      1979 xs1100 Special -
      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
      My Bike:
      [link is broken]

Comment

Bring a mechanic's stethoscope with you to help locate the source of the noise. That's about the best advice I can give you

Comment

running along side as he rides it trying to hold a stethoscope to the different parts of the bike might be difficult, not to mention dangerous!

Really though, I understand what you mean, try to locate it by moving/spinning different parts of the bike while sitting still.
          1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
          [link is broken]

Comment

Set it up on the center stand, start it up and put it in gear. If it doesn't grind... put a little pressure on the back brake pedal and see if it does it then with the gears under a bit of a load.

I'm putting money on a greaseless/oilless middle drive or final drive. Take a 6mm allen wrench to check it. If it's the middle drive, these can be had pretty cheap and taken off/on without pulling the motor.

Make sure it's not just loose cam chain noise also. BUT... Don't fix it in front of him either.. If it's the middle drive.. shake your head like it's the end of the world and offer him less.. lol. If it's the final drive... even better! Gives you an excuse to swap to the 750 final drive!!

A running engine is what counts... everything else is just add-ons that are fixable.

Tod
            Last edited by trbig; 08-24-2008, 12:26 PM.
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I'm sure there will be lots of head shaking going on. Whenever I look at a vehicle for sale I always bring a yellow legal pad and make a list of every defect I can find, then list what I think it might cost to repair next to it. Then use that to talk them down.
              1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
              [link is broken]

Comment

The horror! LOL Why not put the bike on the centerstand, and run it while in gear?

Originally posted by randy
                Bring a mechanic's stethoscope with you to help locate the source of the noise. That's about the best advice I can give you
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Re: Looking at another XS - Grinding noise when riding

Originally posted by psycoreefer
                  Any ideas what would make a grinding noise?
                  One of the most common causes is mis-alignment of one of the front calipers, and this is real easy to check visually. The caliper on the side opposite the castle nut axle is usually the culprit if the front wheel has been off, and has not been re-installed in the correct sequence. To check, just look to see if the caliper is centered on the brake disk. If is closer to one side, or rubbing, you've found the problem, and the fix is easy.
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

Don't do what i did once.I saw a 1980'ish GS1150 ES that was being sold in the local paper.The owner didn't want to sell it but he said that the bike had a high speed wobble and the brakes were crap.His friend was in an accident and those things were enough to convince him to sell it.I went there and looked at the bike and took a look at the front brakes.He was missing one of the pads and the rear tire was bald.I told him what needed to be done and he said that he could fix them no problem and decided not to sell the bike after all.Maybe i should have not said anything, but i would have had to ride it home and would have had to fix those things in order to get it home.Good luck!
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    Inline fuel filters
                    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                    160 mph speedometer mod
                    Kerker Exhaust
                    xschop K & N air filter setup
                    Dynojet Recalibration kit
                    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Well I went to look at it. Surprise it doesn't run now. It ran great a month ago but now, "I know the battery is dead", and "someone stole all the gas out of it", and "theres no point trying because I don't have a battery charger", even though I had a set of jumper cables, and offered to use them.

Its rough, no side covers, torn seat cover, rust ect. Didn't run so I couldn't get a fix on where the grinding might be from. Checked the fluids and the middle drive was dry, not on the dip stick. I'd guess that the noise was coming from there. Guy wants 600, says he saw one like it sell for 800 on ebay so he's firm.

I don't think it's worth 600, not running, and with a bad middle drive. What do you guys think?
                      1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                      [link is broken]

Comment

It could end up costing you that much just to get it up and running.
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        Inline fuel filters
                        160 mph speedometer mod
                        Kerker Exhaust
                        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

A non-running bike that the owner seems a little less than honest about.... I wouldn't give more than a hundred bucks on a gamble like that.... and that's IF I saw some parts on it that I knew I could make my money back on from Ebay.

Tell him to put it on Ebay, and best of luck.

There will be more of them in the fall and winter, and hopefully the prices will come back down some. They seem to have gotten a bit outta hand this year. Everybody seems to be in a "I want a bike" mode. Hopefully a lot of them will come back up for sale when the snows blow back in.

Tod
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I saw an article in the paper recently that bikes that were made in the late 70's and 80's are making a comeback because "people want to reconnect with their youth".
                            1980 XS1100 SG
                            Inline fuel filters
                            160 mph speedometer mod
                            Kerker Exhaust
                            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

I just bought a standard off ebay, it was in Ala. got it for $202. seller said motor would run, but carbs might need to be gone thru, seat was crap, no sidecovers, everything else was there. got it home cleaned carbs changed oil, smoke like a freight train for the first few starts, now it don't smoke and runs better than my daily rider. LOL. Got lucky. Later 'Dog

Comment

Working...
                              X