running woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello

No offence meant but all you need to do is a little reading and very little work to get youir bike working correctly. Have you even checked out any of the links supplied ? Have you cleaned the carbs and pre synked them ? If not sell the bike to somebody that can take the time to work on it . These bikes take a lot of TLC and the are great if you want to fix them up if not sell it and buy a newer bike . I suggest you do some reading here about getting a bike back up to standards then at least try to do some repairs on your own if you cant do that then this is not the bike for you.
    Doug
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Re: for starters

Originally posted by mro
      What year/model XS do you have?
      Did the carb kits come with jets, and did you use them?
      What did you set the float height to?
      Did you "pre-synk" the carbs before you put them back on?
      Are you trying to run it without the air filter installed?
      If you have BS34 III carbs, has the plug covering the pilot screws been removed?

Sorry for the third degree but hard to know what advise to give without a little back ground.

mro
      BTW, welcome to XS land

I'd agree with mro here, we'd really need all of the above info to point you in the right direction. There are subtle differences between carbs of different years and such, it's possible something simple got overlooked and is causing your troubles. What part of KS do you live in?
      '81 XS11 SH (XSelsior)

Comment

Originally posted by devilschld
        i maybe in a shoping mood really soon for a set of carbs on my 1980 xs1100 special completly rebuild and ready to go does anyone have some or willing to sell the rebuilding
        Hey Devil,

Check out 81XSPRoject, he offers a rebuilding service for carbs, is very good at it, is in Cali., so you would just need to ship them to him. Some folks just don't feel confident about tackling these carbs, and so it's nothing to be ashamed about having someone else with more experience work on them....it's your money! Good Luck!
        T.C.

Check out this thread in the parts for sale forum and scroll down to find his info!
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by devilschld
          i maybe in a shoping mood really soon for a set of carbs on my 1980 xs1100 special completly rebuild and ready to go does anyone have some or willing to sell the rebuilding
          Do I detect broken and swaged in needles??
          John
          Now: '78 XS1100E 750 FD Mod (Big Dog)
          '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
          '78 CB750F ( The F)
          '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
          New '82 Honda MB5 Ring Ding
          Then: '76 CB550K
          '78 CB750F
          '84 VF1100S
          And still Looking!

Comment

yes i have done what the links suggest. start dropping the idle down below 2000rpm and the bike fall flat on its face. as for not being able to do it i can do the carbs and even my cousin who is a mechanic for elys in hutch. has looked at it and been doing the work for me. the bike has been with him for 2 mnths now. so if the bike is not done this week i need to look at other avenues to get it back up and running. as for the suggestion of selling the bike no way i enjoy the old girl too much. it was had to find a bike that old in the shape its in.
            1980 xs1100 sg.

Comment

Working...
            X