Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They're calling this a Maxim, but ...

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/mcy/773802500.html

look at the handlebars and instruments, and seat, and ...
    1982 XJ1100J Maxim
    2000 BMW R1200C

“We go to heaven for the climate, hell for the company.” – Mark Twain

That's about par for the course for a 650 Maxim. The only Maxim that had different bars, seats and insruments were the 1100's.

The Maxim was made in 550, 650, 750 and 1100.

Side covers were different also.

Oh and they were chain drive. (except the 750)

And had a smaller tank.

And only one front brake.

A few other minor differences also.
    Never scratch your head with a nail gun!

1982 XJ1100

Comment

Maxim 650 and 750 were shafties. Smooth and quick. 750 had an anti-dive fork that worked great but looked complicated to work on.
      1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Hey Rhumba,

So you think that's a 650? The price was $650, so you weren't fooled by that...?
        1982 XJ1100J Maxim
        2000 BMW R1200C

Comment

It's a 650 I see one just like almost everyday and I've also worked on it several times it's a friends bike. A non holes 650 Maxim tank is worth big bucks. Nice bikes they have YICS and are shafties. Pretty decent performer and light and nimble.
          I hate signatures. Too many cars and Bikes to list here.

Comment

I had a 650 Seca, 1982, the only year they made it. It was the same engine and driveline as the 650 Maxim. well over 100k miles with no problems. Not sure about the YICS on a Maxim, my Seca did not have it.
            78E ... Gone but not forgotten
            2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

O.K., thank you, all. So the 650 had standard handlebars?

I saw a 650 Maxim on the road that I thought looked nearly identical to mine except for a smaller engine.
              1982 XJ1100J Maxim
              2000 BMW R1200C

Comment

Working...
              X