No announcement yet.

Auxillary Fuel Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't do much touring, but last year when at the Fall rally in Northern Ga. , I went for a ride, and got misdirected, and up in the mountains, no road side lights, etc., red low fuel light was glaring at me for 10+ miles as I tried to figure out which way to go! Finally found a station running on fumes!

I have saddlebags and a trunk, and found some of the newer 1 gal plastic gas cans much better in sealing, and just carry one NOW when I think I'll be out and about away from civilization and frequent stations!!

BNE, you could possibly put a couple of soft fuel cell bladders in the storage of your NEW Fairing!? Also, since you have PODS, there space where the AIRBOX used to be as well!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by olebiker
      My fuel light comes on at 150 kms on the special. And I do ride where it is a long ways between stations. This last trip through Maine there was a long spot that had me worried. I would like more range as well. I just need a tougher butt to go with it.
      olebiker...I aint no iron butt...I gotta have my comforts...and one of them is the peace of mind in knowing you have enuf fuel to go the distance without any worries...I can sit on a bike as long as I can stay comfortable...usually abt 250 miles before I wanna take a break...I can do that on my ST1100 easily,but on the XJ1100 there are some things that need to be done to truly make this a touring machine...
      I've already added the Vetter Windjammer Thanks to TC... now I need better handgrips..and some touring luggage(panniers).I will also add a throttle rocker and some hwy pegs...
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
        I don't do much touring, but last year when at the Fall rally in Northern Ga. , I went for a ride, and got misdirected, and up in the mountains, no road side lights, etc., red low fuel light was glaring at me for 10+ miles as I tried to figure out which way to go! Finally found a station running on fumes!

I have saddlebags and a trunk, and found some of the newer 1 gal plastic gas cans much better in sealing, and just carry one NOW when I think I'll be out and about away from civilization and frequent stations!!

BNE, you could possibly put a couple of soft fuel cell bladders in the storage of your NEW Fairing!? Also, since you have PODS, there space where the AIRBOX used to be as well!
        T.C.
        TC I'm not familiar with soft fuel cell bladders or their systems..where? How?One thing abt fuel is that it would shift around unless its in a tank with baffles..in any case i want a cell or tank mounted as low on the bike as is possible.Dont want to change the dynamics of the bikes COG and make it top heavyBTW TC there seems to be a nice space behind the Pods..its pretty empty ...Thanks for that suggestion...I'll look at it..
        Last edited by madmax-im; 08-20-2008, 06:10 PM.
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig
          Having a fuel cell on a back rack would put it somewhere close to the tanks current level. On a road course race, another 40 lbs of weight (5 gals) would matter, but that really shouldn't be a factor too much for any of us or these bikes. With it there, it could be gravity fed.. just turn your petcocks to off so it doesn't syphon into your tank and possibly overfill it.. and a valve to open it. You can find good fuel cells with baffles in them also to help avoid the "Sloshing" weight back and forth.

The bike's 4 1/2 gals and another 5 should get you pretty close to that 300 mile mark wherever you happen to mount it. A plus to a back rack would be that it would be easy to remove when not needed and a fuel pump wouldn't be a needed component for the electrical system to keep up with. Lines routed easily under the seat.. etc.

BUT.. sounds like this isn't the type of setup you're looking for.. just wanted to give you some options.

Tod
          Actually Tod my mind is open to almost all possibilities even a jerry can..LOL...but I'd like a system similar to what MAXIMAN had on his 'Zilla...back in the day...even the gravity feed ..I agree it would work fine without the need for a fuel pump... so I have some more research to do yet...Thanks for the suggestion
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

+1 on the Throttle Rocker. I like mine a lot. More gas is good too. I been looking at the space under the luggage rack. It would involve relocating the tail/tag light, but a 3.5 or 4 gal. tank ought to fit there. Eastern Oregon, Nevada, places like that, make more gas seem like a good idea.
            1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

I use a throttle lock. I have tried the rocker but don't like it. I have used the lock for many years. You just have to use some judgement about when to use it plus don't have it very tight. I would need a different seat and either different bars or move them back a bit to ride more comfortably. My right hand gets sore and numb in the outside palm. I think it is a bit too much weight on it. The Virago that my wife rides has a fuel pump and a second tank.
              http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

I saw a dual purpose bike the other day that had a garden sprayer attached behind one of the big metal saddle bags. Discharge from the sprayer was neatly ran from the sprayer outlet to the fuel system somewhere up under the seat. I thought it was an awesome idea. You need more gas??? Pump pump pump. The sprayer he had was around a gallon or so, maybe 1.5 gallons.
                Randy

"I didn't break it! IT FAILED!"

'82 XJ1100 "yamama"
                '09 Buell Ulysses
                '01 HD softail std - crunched

Comment

That would be kinda funny to see someone sputtering down the highway while reaching behind them and frantically pumping up their fuel tank!

That is a very simple and clever idea. I assume a good garden sprayer would be fully compatible with gasoline?
                  I know this, because Tyler knows this.

1980 SG
                  3J6 003509
                  Kerker 4-1 (sans baffles)
                  Fuse Block Upgrade
                  Mike's XS Green Coils
                  Pods w/Homemade Velocity Stacks

Comment

I can't stand it any more!

Please, does nobody realize the significance of the thin red line that shows up under a word? It means the word is spelled wrongly. Auxiliary has only one L in it.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I'm an engineer! I reserve the right to spell everything wrong!
                      Randy

"I didn't break it! IT FAILED!"

'82 XJ1100 "yamama"
                      '09 Buell Ulysses
                      '01 HD softail std - crunched

Comment

Hi Randy,
                        I spent my entire career making machine drawings for engineers.
                        Spelling's not the only thing they can't get right.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Noot everiones webb browsser supports spel cheking

FYI anyone using Firefox, if you right click in the "Your Reply" text box when your typing a reply you should see an option for spell check this field. If you select that you'll get word - style spell checking with mis-spelled words underlined and right clicking a "bad" word will give you suggested spelling. You should only have to turn it on once.

I assume Internet Explorer offers something similar but I don't know how you'd turn it on.
                          1979 xs1100 Special -
                          Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                          Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                          My Bike:
                          [link is broken]

Comment

Words spelled wrong don't get me as bad as the texting style typing AND PEOPLE THAT TYPE WITH ALL CAPS.

I have no idea what version of explorer Fred has, but nothing I have either at work or at home has any red lines showing. Not everyone is an english major, and nobody is asking to be graded. Count to 10 ,Fred, and take a chill pill.

Tod
                            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100
                            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Hi Guys,

To return to the fuel tanks......

There are a couple of options which have not been mentioned; At least one member has installed a bigger tank, from a Kawasaki tourer, I think? Sounds simpler and safer than strapping an extra tank on the bike somewhere.

I can't remember the model, and I am too lazy to do a search, but the info and pics are on here somewhere!

Second, the talented sheet-metal workers on here could follow the lead of MathH, who cut the tank on his XS into three pieces and welded in a couple of 2" strips to widen it. He made one or two other minor changes at the same time.....

Look at how far the tank overhangs the cam cover. The tank started off as the bigger (6gal?) version of the Standard.

AlanB
                              If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Now thats an idea!

Hi Alan...
                                Thats really an excellent idea...but no doubt expensive and difficult for someone like myself to fabricate...but I might be able to have someone remake my tank...that would indeed be better than an aux.tank...only thing is it would have to be abt 9 gals How big is MathH's tank?
                                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                                X