high speed wobble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high speed wobble

On my way home tonight, I was passing a car swiftly and when I came back in lane, my bike devloped a slight high speed wobble. Enough that I backed off the throttle and let it straighten out. I was riding the highway earlier in my commute and at speeds of 90+ had no problems. What could cause this and how do I eliminate it? I have no handling mods. I was thinking about a steering damper. Anyone add one here?

Thanks

_Carey

i'm not the guru.....

hey there sweet78xs......could of you possibly lost a wheel weight....like i mentioned b4...not the guru, but might be worth investigating....just my 2 cents.....talk 2 ya later...ross
    rebel devil
    1979 xs 1100f standard
    authenic historical vehicle
    42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
    "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
    "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
    "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
    '96 venture cct.....installed!
    stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
    i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

1. check tire pressure front and rear
      2. verify that the axles have been installed properly, Large nut tightened and THEN the pinch bolt, front and rear.
      3. get a TKat fork brace
      Just a quick list....
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I don't think I lost a weight, but possible. the road was a bit wavy, which I thought caused the wobble. I have ridden that road before, just not as aggressively

Comment

Also, one other thing. I am constantly looking over the bike, feeling and looking for things amiss. I noticed that, right off the bat, the forks move foreward and backward going down the road. It's not like anything is loose, I made sure when I put new tires on. It's a flex type movement, enough sometimes that the front end seems like I lost a weight like Ross said. The fork brace wouldn't stop that would it?

Comment

Hey Sweet,

Check out these links:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...=&threadid=181

http://www.xs11.com/stories/handling.shtml

The XS's front forks are NOT as big around or robust, and so you "could" be seeing some flexing, but surprised you're seeing it on a Standard? I could see it more on the Special because they have longer upper tubes!? Are you hearing any kind of clicking or thumping with this?? If so, could be loose steering head bearings and triple tree tension/slack!?
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
              Hey Sweet,

Check out these links:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...=&threadid=181

http://www.xs11.com/stories/handling.shtml

The XS's front forks are NOT as big around or robust, and so you "could" be seeing some flexing, but surprised you're seeing it on a Standard? I could see it more on the Special because they have longer upper tubes!? Are you hearing any kind of clicking or thumping with this?? If so, could be loose steering head bearings and triple tree tension/slack!?
              T.C.
              Yep I am with you on the loose bearings.
              http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

Wobble

I used to ride a Honda V45 magna, and this bike was very sensitive to front tire pressures. Just a little low and it could get scarry. You could not take both hands off of the handle bars without your life passing before your eyes. The early V45"s were known to have skinny forks that caused this problem.

Comment

All motorcycles will develop a speed wobble under the right "conditions". With cradle frames made of "water pipe", rather thin front forks, and an excess of 'free' length in the fork stanchions make it an inevitability when pushing hard on a bike from this era. On contemporary Honda CB9's you could watch the forks flex sideways under hard cornering, very disconcerting, especially if you come into a corner too hot.

An undulating surface will make the wobble problem worse, at certain speeds. Early-mid 80's Suzuki's were especially prone to it at around 180 kph. In fact the GSX1100EF had a bad (albeit undeserved)reputation for speed wobbles, and even the first generation FZR's used to be prone to it. Steering damper sales increased significantyly with the release of Big Jap 4's from the mid 70's.

Check all the items listed in the other posts, worth checking them occasionally anyway. But if nothing shows up as bad then I'd put it down to the specific situation causing the wobble.

A fork brace and steering damper will reduce/remove the problem. As will better quality front springs such as Progressives.
                  Last edited by strippedFJ; 08-23-2008, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Don't over look the rear shocks. The rear swing arm of the XS is not very rigid. I believe that it is possible to get into an oscillation when in a hard turn. The swing arm can twist causing the shocks to become unbalanced. Particularly if one is bad.

My 'F' would only wobble when I was in a right had turn. My wobble went away when I installed new progressive rear shocks with stock springs.
                    DZ
                    Vyger, 'F'
                    "The Special", 'SF'
                    '08 FJR1300

Comment

Yeah what he said. Also, try adjusting the swing arm at the pivot points.

Originally posted by Dennyz
                      Don't over look the rear shocks. The rear swing arm of the XS is not very rigid. I believe that it is possible to get into an oscillation when in a hard turn. The swing arm can twist causing the shocks to become unbalanced. Particularly if one is bad.
                      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                      X