Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ballast Resistor

Help!

I have an '80 G' and, have just replaced the stock coils with 'Accels'. My understanding is that, if there is a ballast resistor, it must be removed.

So, does the '80G' have a ballast resistor and, if so, is my information correct that it should be removed?
    Also, what does it look like and approx. where would I find it on the bike?

Thanks for any help/info.

Ohhhh, I hate asking dumb questions......
    1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
    1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
    1978 XS11 G (White Knight)
    1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
    2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Ron,

The ballast resistor is on the left side of the frame under the gas tank. It is a stainless steel box about an inch square and about 3 inches long with two wires coming out of it. I believe you remove it if the resistance throught the coils is 3 ohms and you leave it connected if it's 1.5 ohms. I believe if you do remove it you connect both wires together. There is plenty of info on the site, you may have to search for Mikes XS Coils swap.

Hope this helps,
    Paul
    Paul
    1983 XJ1100 Maxim
    1979 XS1100 Standard
    1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by blue giant
      Ron,

The ballast resistor is on the left side of the frame under the gas tank. It is a stainless steel box about an inch square and about 3 inches long with two wires coming out of it. I believe you remove it if the resistance throught the coils is 3 ohms and you leave it connected if it's 1.5 ohms. I believe if you do remove it you connect both wires together. There is plenty of info on the site, you may have to search for Mikes XS Coils swap.

Hope this helps,
      Paul
      Mostly correct.... The resistances are wrong way around... The ballast resistor is 1.5 Ohms and it's connected in series with the coils, which are also 1.5 Ohms (only 1 coil connected at a time) so 1.5 + 1.5 = 3 Ohms...

If your accel coils are 3 Ohms, remove the resistor and link the red/white wires (from the main harness) together. (The male/female bullet connectors make this easy). If your Accel coils are 1.5 Ohms, leave the ballast resistor in circuit...

HTH

Miti
      One of those terribly nice chaps on XS1100.com
      • XS1100S (5K7) '83 "Sport #1 - Trike Donor"
      • XS1100S (5K7) '85 "Sport #2"
      • XS1100LG (4W1) '80 "A Tribute to Brian"
      • Hesketh V1000 '82 - Dream Realised...

Comment

There you go Ron,

Thanks Miti!
        Paul
        1983 XJ1100 Maxim
        1979 XS1100 Standard
        1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

Thanks guys;

I couldn't see anywhere that the red/white split from the main harness until it branched off to the fuse box and then to the ignitor unit.

I shall go and check again and see if I can find it ... stay tuned.
          1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
          1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
          1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
          2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

That there ballast resistor can be clearly seen if you get down on the LHS of the bike and peer up at the top frame rail... (almost directly above the exhaust cam...

It is held onto a 1" square metal tab on that frame rail by a single screw... The red/white wires come out of the harness in about the same place as the wires for the ignition coils...

HTH

Miti
            One of those terribly nice chaps on XS1100.com
            • XS1100S (5K7) '83 "Sport #1 - Trike Donor"
            • XS1100S (5K7) '85 "Sport #2"
            • XS1100LG (4W1) '80 "A Tribute to Brian"
            • Hesketh V1000 '82 - Dream Realised...

Comment

I think I found it... just going to check the part # that's on it now to confirm.

Miti... you were helpful until you wrote "It is held onto a 1" square metal tab on that frame rail by a single screw... The red/white wires come out of the harness in about the same place as the wires for the ignition coils..."
              What I'm looking at is attached to a metal clip which attaches the harness to the frame.

(D@mn, I wish it was easier to post pics on this site )

Looking from the top, there are to wires encased in braided type sheathing with one wire soldered at one end of the bracket and the other wire soldered at the opposite end. Part of the bracket is an 'L' shaped tab which is attached to a mounting strip (which holds the wire harness against the frame) with a cable tie.
              1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
              1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
              1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
              2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

Looking from the top, there are to wires encased in braided type sheathing with one wire soldered at one end of the bracket and the other wire soldered at the opposite end. Part of the bracket is an 'L' shaped tab which is attached to a mounting strip (which holds the wire harness against the frame) with a cable tie.

You found it

Comment

YUP!

I checked the Yamaha parts listing and, the pic shown is what I suspected was the resistor.

Whew

Thanks to y'all for the help - getting me on the right track and confirming my suspicions.

1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
                  1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
                  1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
                  2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

I'm a liitle late with this, pic borrowed from one of TC's posts, silver thingy below tank mount.

Ernie
                    79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
                    (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Did you ever get the accels all mounted up and working correctly? I should have pm'ed you a pic of mine in case it would have helped. Maybe you can post a pic of your install and when I get the tank of mine I can do the same. Hope those instructions I sent helped some too. Later
                      2-79 XS1100 SF
                      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Couple pics from my install

2-79 XS1100 SF
                        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Got them mounted without any problem. However, in typical fashion & through a bit of misfortune, I had to go back and redo the wiring which resulted in a break of the worse kind. Fortunately, I managed to repair it and, SFSG, it's holding. (If there were no such thing as 'bad luck', I'd have no luck at all .

I have a few other things to do in that area and, barring an unpredictable seniors moment , hopefully I'll remember to take a few pics & get them posted .
                          1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
                          1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
                          1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
                          2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

Working...
                          X