Removing the primary shaft bearing housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing the primary shaft bearing housing

Has anyone had to remove the primary shaft bearing housing with the engine assembled in the bike? (This is the small cover that is attached with three allen head bolts next to the starter on the left side.) Everything I read assumes you have the engine torn apart and says to tap the housing out by tapping on the other end of the primary shaft. Can you get the bearing housing out without tearing the engine apart? I have a leak from this housing and I suspect that the two O-rings have shrunken to the point that they no longer seal. I'd sure hate to have to tear the whole engine apart to replace them!
    Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
    1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
    23mm float height
    120 main jets
    42.5 pilot jets
    drilled stock airbox with K&N
    Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
    spade fusebox
    1st and 2nd gear fix

This will come out on it's own, it just needs twisting a little as you pull it off.

I know this as I'm in the middle of rebuilding my engine, I changed tack and decided to polish that part and rather use my freshly painted one I went and pulled one off a spare engine to polish up instead. It came out nice and easy.
    '84 Sport

Comment

Thanks, Shappers! Did you have to take the starter off first? It looks like there may be some interference (overlap) there that might not allow the bearing housing to slide past it.
      Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
      1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
      23mm float height
      120 main jets
      42.5 pilot jets
      drilled stock airbox with K&N
      Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
      spade fusebox
      1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Yes I did,

The cover that you want to take off has a small lip which sits under the starter. It is so small that you may get away with just loosening the starter, but it is only 3 bolts and it is off anyway.
        '84 Sport

Comment

Working...
        X