What to replace.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to replace.

I replaced the battery this season, used the old hardware and had a bad connection, which I summarily tightened and didn't worry about until next time it was loose.

Apparently a bad connection leads to frying the electrical system, eh? Replaced the regulator/rectifier and now she runs, but doesn't charge (checked with multimeter, and no tach or headlight), I assume the alternator needs replaced too.

Anyone else have some experience or expertise with this? What else may need replaced?

- Thanks.

(This would be my first post )
    80 LG MNS

Clean the connections from the alternator, which are located behind the fuse box. This is a common problem with the charging system on these bikes.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

This is a common problem
      It should not be a problem....as it should be anticipated that a 26 to 30 year old machine just might have a corroded electrical connection or two.
      Should be in the tec tips which most don't seem to read and if it's not in there think I've mentioned it a few times as well as you and about a zillion others

mro

Comment

mro is rite

unfortunately ....yes there is corrosion on these machines, especiallly if ever stored outside.....even for a sshort time. take apart EVERY electrical plug and connection and apply some sort of NO-OXIDANT type of paste. get a small paint brush for the tite spots. yes...it is a pain in the ass, but sometimes a bad electrical connection will keep you from moving. nothing sucks more than trying to find it whille parked along a road someplace.. yes, i have been there.
        testing 1-2-3

1980 1100 mns

Comment

Working...
        X