Kickstarter Inquiry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kickstarter Inquiry

Just a quick question.. Was the Kickstarter an option on the 1100LG?
    I ask because I have a place for one but it is covered with a rubber plug.

Thank you in advance for any reply
    Timothy Nau

1971 CB500 Four (Future Project)
    1972 CB500 Four (Restored)
    1980 XS1100 LG ( Inprocess of Restoration)

Kickstarters were only available on 1978 and 1979 models, which would exclude your 1980 LG.
    Robert
    79 SF

Comment

I guess that clears things up

Thank you
      Timothy Nau

Comment

Being there is a location for a kickstarter....is it possible to install one. Seeing that there is no shaft protruding out from the appropriate location one can assume the answer is no...but I do not have enough experience with this bike to make that assumption

Inquiring minds want to know

Thanks for your reply
        Timothy Nau

Comment

You would have to find all the internal parts (and there is a bunch) and a kick start lever. Not worth doing in my opinion. if you don't have 10 volts for the CDI then the bike won't start anyway. Only reason to have one would be starter motor failure, and that is pretty rare, or a broken starter button (which is common) and easily fixed (or just jamb a nail or screwdriver in the hole where the button was).
          Gary Granger
          Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
          2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

I'd like to butt in on this thread.
            I just got my 1100 E running again. Installed new Dyna coils (yes I took lots of pics). Bike still wouldn't fire the left coil so no cyl 1-4. I got a black box off Ebay and it now starts.....only not with the elect starter, I have to kickstart it. Fires up with 1-2 kicks but it's a PITA.
            Bike runs GREAT with the new coils. A lot more power. Also switched to Bosch platinum plugs gapped at .35" (slightly larger that standard) and indexed them (ground electrode is 90 degrees to the air flow between int and exh valves). Stock coils were rated at 12,000 V per clymer, Dyna coils are touted to put out 35,000 V.
            Anyhow, any ideas on why the sudden need to kick it? Coils robbing voltage from the starter?
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Only thing I could think of is the resistor maybe. But it should acually be in the circuit while running. Hmmm.....that's a new one.
              Gary Granger
              Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
              2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Working...
              X