Peering in the window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peering in the window

It's not their fault that I must use a telescoping handled mirror to see the oil sight glass. It's mine for putting a sidecar in the way of getting a direct view of it.
    That said, there's a problem with what I see. Clymer's sez, check the oil level with the bike upright and the engine stopped.
    Clymer's also sez the engine needs 3 litres of oil if you don't change the filter.
    So I drain the old oil then put in 3 litres of new oil. The sight glass fills right up. Start the engine and the level drops to the half-way mark. Stop the engine and the sight glass fills right up again.
    So, am I mis-reading the book or is Clymer's full of it or what?
    Guidance please?
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

The oil level dropping when running is normal. That amount of drop is the amount of oil needed to fill the oil pump, passageways to bearings and valve train.
    When you shut it down everything drains back to the pan.
    XJ1100 Ruby Red
    XS1100LH "Midnight"
    1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

What I'm reading is that Fred says that 3 liters is over full - the sight glass is full beyond the top mark.

If thats the case then drain a bit out, probably due to the fact that you can't actually drain 100% of the oil, there is always a little left in there.
      1979 xs1100 Special -
      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
      My Bike:
      [link is broken]

Comment

Hi Cruiser,
        yeah, the level drops when the engine starts, I'm OK with that.
        My problem is, if I did exactly what the book sez and poured in oil until the level was the desired half way up the window, there'd only be 2 quarts in there. When I pour in the required 3 quarts the beggar shows over-full.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Sounds like you have too much oil in there. I run my 'F' (with a lot of miles on it) between 1/4 and 1/2 of the sight glass. Much more than that and I get oil in my air box.
          DZ
          Vyger, 'F'
          "The Special", 'SF'
          '08 FJR1300

Comment

Any chance there is some sludge or something else occupying space in the oil pan? When I change my oil I add four quarts, and that just brings it up to the top of the window. I have an oil cooler, but it doesn't have that much capacity. Isn't the total capacity 3.7 qts with a filter change. I never seem to get as much as .7 qts when I drain the cup and filter.

Comment

Hey Fred,

Are you sure your bike is perfectly straight up level?? Have you put a large/long level across the handlebars to see IF it's truly level, cause just a few degrees to the right will cause the oil level to cover the window like it's doing!?

Frankly, if you can see that the level drops when it runs, AND you're not getting oil out of your air filter, then I'd leave it alone. I prefer a little MORE oil than not enough!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Is the bike on a slight tilt toward the side car.
                The bike needs to be level to use the sight glass to determine oil level. even a slight tilt will raise the level in the glass to appear overfull.
                Park the bike on a level surface like a gas station pad by the pumps and take a look at it. See if the bike is truly standing straight as if on the main stand. confirm it by lowering the main stand and seeing if both feet hit the ground at the same time.
                Rob
                KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                1978 XS500E
                1979 XS1100F Restored
                1980 XS1100 SG
                1981 Suzuki GS1100
                1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Funny thing on my XJ. If I don't fill it to the very top line in the window the oil light comes on with hard acceleration.
                  I can't get by with keeping it in the middle of the lines.
                  Maybe my oil level gauge is off a bit?
                  XJ1100 Ruby Red
                  XS1100LH "Midnight"
                  1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

Not critical................y'all are splitting hairs here. If you change oil and filter, put 4 quarts in the thing and forget it. Those that are letting oil level show half up in sight glass are running it too low........won't hurt, but level should be at upper mark on side cover.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Sorry but it is critical... most people don't know that when it comes to oil, more is not better, even if it's not coming up the breather hose. Over filling the oil allows the moving parts in the crankcase to splash excessively. When the oil is hot excessive splashing will introduce AIR into the oil and grossly reduce it lubricating and cooling capacity. This sort of situation will not trigger the oil pressure light. An engine can be badly damaged pretty fast when this happens. This is why there is an UPPER and lower level mark.
                      Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                      1978 XS500E
                      1979 XS1100F Restored
                      1980 XS1100 SG
                      1981 Suzuki GS1100
                      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

When I change my oil, my bike is on the center stand. The front tire is on the ground and the rear tire is elevated. I usually check the oil that way, too. Fred's bike has both wheels on the deck. Could that account for some of it?
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Fred's bike has both wheels on the deck. Could that account for some of it?
                          That's an interesting thought. Someone should put their bike on the center stand and rock it back onto the rear wheel to see if it changes the reading on the sight glass. Something tells me it might just make a difference. I'd be happy to do it myself if I were anywhere near my bike right now.
                          I know this, because Tyler knows this.

1980 SG
                          3J6 003509
                          Kerker 4-1 (sans baffles)
                          Fuse Block Upgrade
                          Mike's XS Green Coils
                          Pods w/Homemade Velocity Stacks

Comment

The lines in the sight glass must be level to get a good reading. Side to side and front to back leans will change the level of the oil in the glass. Most new gas stations and most shop floors will be level enough for a proper reading if the bike is on main stand.
                            If a suitable level location is not available, or the main stand can not be used, then do the oil change as per the manual which includes: doing the change HOT, letting it flow for a about 1/2 an hour and turning over the engine a few times during the change to clear the galleries. Then add the correct amount of oil. Myself .. I alway do the oil and filter together so there is no doubt about how much oil to add and filters are cheap compared to a bearing job.

Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                            1978 XS500E
                            1979 XS1100F Restored
                            1980 XS1100 SG
                            1981 Suzuki GS1100
                            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I usually check/add oil on the center stand on my carport. Side to side leaning (even just a few degrees) has a much greater effect on the level in the sight glass than front to rear. Carport leans in one direction very slightly so I put the front wheel on the high side to check oil level or do an oil change. About 3.75 quarts brings the level up to the upper line (after the filter cup is filled by the oil pump) and that is where I stay. I think as long as you are between the lines you should be OK.
                              Mike Giroir
                              79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Working...
                              X