Starter problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter problem

I've had a look through the FAQs and can't find this problem, so here goes.

I've got an '83 1.1S and when I thumb the starter button, it takes several seconds before turning over and starting.
    The battery is well charged and this happens every time I start the bike.

Anybody out there have any suggestions?

Cheers.
    If you can't afford it....finance it!!

Try checking the grounds and other connections. It's a common problem. If the connections are dirty, it might take that few seconds to overcome the dirt and operate the starter.
    Brian
    1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
    1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
    remembering the same thing!

Comment

Starter ...or not

Could be a couple of things to look at.

From experience on my 1.1s - have a look at the starter solenoid switch. Located under the side panel (RHS I think) - it's the round unit that the positive power cable from the battery connects straight into. Mine was dodgey and the starter had the same symptoms - getting worse over a year or so. First it could be made to work by tapping the unit and then trying the starter. Later - hitting the unit with the starter button pushed in - and then finally putting a screw driver across the end terminals on the solenoid to the get bike to crank over. The last one was reserved for an emergency where the only push was uphill in a muddy field after a camping weekend. That screwdriver got pretty hot too! Cure for this is relatively cheap - XJ900 Diversion units are exactly the same, and plentiful in the friendly local bike breaker. Think I paid a fiver a few years ago.

I agree with xsessive one on the grounding (earthing) - have a look at how the starter is earthed. Maybe run a 'test' wire bypassing the original earth connection to a better earth to see if it makes any difference.

Check the voltage getting to the starter too - is there a good 12ish volts there? If not, corroded connectors or failing wires could be a problem.

Could also be the handlebar switch itself, think I've had my switch apart a few times to clean contacts - but most often for the infamous 'starter button falling apart' problem.
      XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
      Guzzi 850
      Z1000

Comment

Starter problem

Thanks guys, I'll try it out.
        If you can't afford it....finance it!!

Comment

Working...
        X