Leaking chain tensioner & some others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking chain tensioner & some others

Have a slight problem with my 80 XS1100G Standard. The chain tensioner is leaking around the black rubber insert. What is the proper repair for it and where can I acquire a gasket that I suppose is required?
    Also, what slipon mufflers are suggested for worn out originals? If possible, please define the diameter of the muffler tube needed and the best length for the mufflers. Is is necessary to rejet the carb? I am a new member and maybe I should post at another thread, but I see this one is active.
    Thanks
    Dave
    Turbodave:
    Running Against the Wind

Never forget our POWs/MIAs

Iron Butt Association #14500

First read this, at the end are some leak fixes.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63

Next read this, it has a link to some nice pictures I have:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...&threadid=1055

You can't just pull it, the engine has to be in the proper position! To fix the leaky plug is easy, either buy one when you go to the dealer for the gasket (like $5) or just coat it with silicone and pop it back in. It is actually a rubber covered metal gasket. Some guys have used corks with silicone. There is also a small rubber o-ring around the bolt (check my pictures).

Plug is part number 90338-14004 (PLUG,SPEC'L SHAPE
    Your Price Only $3.23)

Gasket is part number 2H7-12213-00 (or 2H7-12213-10-00 $3.46)

Prices from www.partsfish.com
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Leaking chain tensioner

Gary,
      Thanks much for the info. It is very helpful. I truly appreciate the speedy reply.
      Turbodave:
      Running Against the Wind

Comment

Leaky chain tensioner

So it's not just me then!

New plug fitted a few years ago - but never used in anger until last weekend - is already leaking!

As a word of warning - an British 6 pence piece (last legal currency about 1969) epoxied in place doesn't work very well I found out - although makes a perfect size blanking plate.

Thanks from me too Gary
        XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
        Guzzi 850
        Z1000

Comment

I sealed my leaking plug with Permatex black RTV last year and it hasn't leaked since.
          Robert
          79 SF

Comment

Thanks for the tip. will give it a try.
            Turbodave:
            Running Against the Wind

Comment

Robert,
              Did you apply the Permatex RTV only to the outside of the plug or did you remove it and apply it inside. If so, what is needed to remove the plug?
              Turbodave:
              Running Against the Wind

Comment

Leaks and mufflers

I to have a 80g that had leaky tensioner and rusted out mufflers. The leaky tensioner was an easy fix. Clean it real well with brake cleaner, then take some high temp silicone sealer and fill in the area its leaking from. Let it sit overnight and problem gone. Did this about two years ago and have had no leak since. As for mufflers. I tried a set of the "fat boys" but found they were to fat to fit right. I bought a set of "extra long" mufflers from JC Whitney. They ran about $40 each. I needed a couple of reducers from Pep Boys. With about 3 hours work, I was finished and its hard to tell them from stock. You lose the crossover. I was able to used the stock hangers with some careful bending of the brackets. Fabricated a center stand stop. On the brake side, you will need to do some slight grinding on the pedal. All in all, I am very pleased with the look and the sound. They end at the same place as the stockers did. Have not needed to rejet, though some slight carb tuning was required. I can send you pictures of the completed job if you like.
                When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Webcraft, thanks for the info. Please forward the pics. Sure do appreciate all the assistance. Ride safe
                  Turbodave:
                  Running Against the Wind

Comment

Originally posted by turbodave_98
                    Robert,
                    Did you apply the Permatex RTV only to the outside of the plug or did you remove it and apply it inside. If so, what is needed to remove the plug?
                    I did not remove the plug, it was still in pretty tight. I thoroughly cleaned the area and pushed RTV in the small gap around the edge of the plug and then put a coating on the surface.
                    Robert
                    79 SF

Comment

Bob,
                      thanks much for the info. Will give it a try.
                      Dave
                      Turbodave:
                      Running Against the Wind

Comment

Working...
                      X