Hello all...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all...

Hello folks, I'm the proud 3rd owner of a 1980 XS1100. What a nice sight to find in my research for info.

I'm 31, from Battle Creek, MI. I've been serving the Navy for the past 13 years and am stationed at Lemoore, CA. as an Aviation Electrician. I bought my XS1100 last month from a kid who had it for a month and determined he didn't have time for it, so he put it up on Craigslist. I paid a $1000 for it. It has 45,000 miles on it.

I'm only getting about 25mpg with it. I seen some threads here stating it should get @ 42mpg. I found the #4 spark plug loose and tightened it. It sounds better, (no more popping) so i hope to see better mpg. It seems to burn oil, but where it goes i don't see. I put a quart in every two weeks it seems. I think the clutch is original. as it should be replaced. It slips if I get on it from take off at about 6500rpm through all the gears.

If anybody has any tidbits, I'd appreciate the info on my mpg and clutch.

Thanks, Jake
    1980 XS11
    _=-Xcellerator-=_
    -47,000 miles
    -rear dropped 1 1/2" w/HD Sporster Shox
    -HD 12" apes & controls
    -V*Star seat & bags

"You ridin' a Harley, or are you just to see me?"

Welcome, you'll like it, just a little time and you'll be hooked. don't get too worked up about your fuel economy, mine gets in the low 30's which is what alot of them get. you will want to find out where the oil is going / burning and fix it as it will hinder performance and can cause other bad stuff. check the compression, do a leak down test, you'll find the cause. there is much info on these beasts here on the site, if you can't find what you're looking for, ask. someone will know the answer or be able to point you in the right direction. again, welcome to the site, you'll find it to be a rather fun addiction. have a nice day and ride safe
    I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

fixed picture

1980 XS11
      _=-Xcellerator-=_
      -47,000 miles
      -HD 12" apes & controls
      -V*Star seat & bags

Comment

Greetings I just rebuilt my clutch-the old basket wouldnt take a weld so had to get a 2nd hand one. All new plates & H Duty springs....plus the actuator parts. What a difference...feels like a new gearbox now I get 40+ mpg
        80 XS11 Standard Australia

Comment

Hi Jake,
          good looking G .
          25mpg be low. After general maintenance you'll want to tune the carbs. If the pilot screws are still covered you will want to remove the caps. Can not properly clean the carbs with out taking out the screw.
          The clutch cover can be removed with out draining the oil (while on side stand) and you can then pull the friction and steel plates for inspection. On my G all I did was replace the springs and do the “extra steel plate” mod.

All info in the tech tips.

mro
          BTW, welcome to XS Land

Comment

Go to Tech Tips-theres a bit on improving MPG
            80 XS11 Standard Australia

Comment

Thanks

Thanks everyone, for your hospitality. I'm getting a little better mpg I can see already from the loose plug I found. I'm going to investigate this oil consumption i got going on now.
              1980 XS11
              _=-Xcellerator-=_
              -47,000 miles
              -HD 12" apes & controls
              -V*Star seat & bags

Comment

It is possible that a PO had used an aftermarket air filter and rejetted the carb? Any chance it has been bored out? Is the float level correct @ 23mm? I only get 30 mpg with mine but I have a big bore, aftermarket pipes and air filter.
                So your an Airdale Squid, huh? A One Wire (AE)?

Comment

Working...
                X