No announcement yet.

'79 Engine Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea, I still don't fully understand. I did loosen the set screw before removing the housing, which would explain why it all just fell out. Maybe I was being dramatic when I described it before. I put the spring and rod back in the housing, slid it back into the engine and pushed it up until the two were flush, then tightened the allen screws. I then tightened the set screw and then rotated the engine a couple times moving the rotor to the C mark then loosened the set screw then retightened the set screw and lock nut, as described in the guide. I should check, though, if the tensioner is in in the proper direction. I will have to remove it, leaving the set screw tight, and see how it is facing. I think it is facing correctly though.
    Stock '79 xs1100 Standard

Comment

trbig, I re-read your post and now it makes sense.

The set screw was not all the way out, nor was it loose. I attempted to do an adjustment a while back but think I did it wrong, not rotating the engine enough; only moving it to the C mark. When I removed the housing from the engine, I thought the tensioner shaft was going to stay in the engine and that the housing was just a cover for the shaft. Thus I loosened the set screw before removing the housing, causing the spring and tensioner shaft to fall out when I did remove the housing. I was worried I wasn't going to be able to get it all back in there correctly, but when I put the spring and tensioner shaft back into the housing and mated it with the engine, it felt like it realigned itself. I then proceeded to do a 'by the book' camchain adjustment.
      Stock '79 xs1100 Standard

Comment

There is a notch in that adjuster rod. That notch has to be turned towrds the set screw. The back of that notch hitting the set screw is what keeps it and the spring in the housing when the screw is loose... but will let it come all the way out of the screw is removed completely.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own