Tire Dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Dilemma

Seems my favorite tire - Avon Super Venom 120/90v17 - is no longer available. Searched for a few hours, very little selection on ANY 120/90-17. Seems Parts Unlimited, the big wholesale supplier to Motorcycle shops and places like Dennis Kirk, don't have that size.

So I found a 120/90 in Bridgestone Battlax BT45V for $77 + $15 shipping at motorcyclemart.com.

I called a motorcycle shop and they want $136 for the same tire.

Anyone have any comments on this tire? Good, bad?
    Marty in NW PA
    Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
    Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
    This IS my happy face.

I looked at that order again. That BT45V is a tubeless tire. Is THAT a problem for my 78E tube-type rim???
    Marty in NW PA
    This IS my happy face.

Comment

You would have to ask the manufacturer if you can run a tube in it. But basically you can run a 130/90 on the standard, so don't limit yourself to 120/90's.

Read these threads on the subject:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...=&threadid=723

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...=&threadid=572

Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Features
        Battlax BT45 H-rated bias ply, designed to give performance and mileage on today's sport-touring bikes.

Battlax BT45 V-rated bias ply, designed to give performance and mileage on sport bikes.

Dual Tread Compound (DTC ) offering long lasting center compound and softer side compound. Larger crown radius for greater stability and longer life.

This is from the tips section of the website:

Mount only "tubeless" tires on "tubeless" rims when the rim manufacturer recommends this fitment. Some rims require tubes. A "tubeless" tire must be installed on a "tube type" rim when the appropriate tube is inserted.

Do not install non-radial tubes in radial tires. Insure that the tube marking matches the radial tire marking before installation to rims that require tubes.

Since the tire is a bias ply tire you would PROBABLY be OK...but check out the website for info and ask them if not sure.

Bridgestone
        Gary Granger

Comment

Thanks Gary!! I did check all that out. I was wondering if this tire is reliable, has anyone had experience with it? And has anyone had problems fitting a tubless onto a 78E tube-type rim.

I read where some folks are fitting 130/90's. But that one post where the tire went flat bothered me. I don't have the cash to buy two tires, one which might not fit. I can't believe I can fit anything bigger there, it seems there is only about 1/4" gap between the shaft drive and the tire and the 130 is a 5.00-5.10(?) rated and that leaves no room at the shaft, compared to the 4.50-4.75 STD tire.

Anyway I ordered the Battlax, we'll see what happens.
          Marty in NW PA
          This IS my happy face.

Comment

I am running a 130/90 Dunlop K491 Elite II on my 80G. There is still plenty of room. 1/4" is plenty right?
            Gary Granger

Comment

Dennis Kirk Has a $1 deal..find your best price and they will beat it by 1$ FWIW deal ends this month..

Shack
              Shack
              79 xs11 Special "SOLD Aug 26 2003"
              2001 GSF K 1200 Bandit "BIG 12"
              Oct 02
              2001 GSF Naked + Black 1200 Dec 03
              3176 miles

Comment

Thanks Shack! I don't have their catalog, and their website is the pits. You have to click on every picture of every tire to see what size it is, and if it is wrong, you have to go back and click on another.

I ordered this one from motorcyclemart.com.
                http://www.motorcyclemart.com/tires/...stone/bt45.htm

Yeah, Gary, 1/4" is enough. I will try a 130 next year. Prolly wont' be able to get a 120 anyway.

I see they advertise Jardine 4-1 for the 78E, also. Maybe next year...
                Marty in NW PA
                This IS my happy face.

Comment

Not to change the subject.... I purchased a Jardine 4 into1 exhaust about 6 years ago for my CB500. I cannot say enought positive things about this exhaust. It has exceeded my expectations .

Just in case you haven't delt with them before
                  Timothy Nau

1971 CB500 Four (Future Project)
                  1972 CB500 Four (Restored)
                  1980 XS1100 LG ( Inprocess of Restoration)

Comment

Working...
                  X