No announcement yet.

Those @$#@% petcocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really have much to add, just wanted to +1 the "Those @$#@% petcocks" title.

I rebuilt my petcocks earlier in the year and they failed the next day. I read another thread here somewhere in which someone machined off the little stopper at the 12 o'clock position to allow the petcock handle to swing vertical. I followed suit and seemed to work...for some reason still leaks gas every now and then. I've since taken apart, cleaned, and reassembled them probably 8x in the past 6mos. I think there is a Mike's XS version in my near future.....

@!#$ those things and the stupid vacuum.
    JEM
    -1981 XS1100H Standard

Comment

I did the mod to swing mine up to the 12 oclock position and at first it didn't seem to work. I was still getting leakby. I took them apart again and lubed up the big rubber piece with the 4 holes in it. (WD40) It was a little dry and I figured that was why it was leaking. I also stetched that wavy washer just a bit and now OFF works just great for me.
      It sure is nice to have an off position when pulling the tank.
      Just knowing that no fuel is supposed to come out helps my confidence when I pull that first fuel line off.
      I can't tell you how many times I pulled those lines off and had fuel everywhere until I could get those suckers capped.
      Now I shut them off after every ride. (just in case my floats start leaking)
      Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
      The Green Monster
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
      Got him in '04.
      bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
      Scarlet
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
      Got her in '11
      Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
      Hugo
      Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
      Cold weather ride

Comment

Working...
      X