Those @$#@% petcocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those @$#@% petcocks

I did the petcock rebuild six or eight months ago, and they were working fine until recently. For some unknown reason one of them decided it didn't like holding the gas back anymore, and that in conjunction with a stuck float has me ready to waive bye-bye to the factory petcocks. I know the partsnmore petcocks with the 46mm adapter plate will work, but their design requires a slight adjustment to the hole in the tank. I'd rather use the Mikes XS part #20-0019 as it shouldn't require modification to the tank, and they have replacement o-rings and stack filters available. Question is will they fit. Has anyone used these petcocks on a standard tank?
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

F'in Standard petcocks

I did a cheap fix to the Standard petcocks, sacrificing the PRI position for an OFF position. I took the fuel selector and filled in the PRI opening with JB weld and smoothed it flush with a razor blade (new OFF position). I took the o-ring off the diaphragm, removed the spring, and plugged the vacuum port. This works like a charm, for over a year now with no problems. Those replacement petcocks seemed a little pricey for me. HTH
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I can verify that the Mike's petcocks fit perfectly on the standard tank. At least, they did for my 1980G.

One note, though...make sure to install the nipple for each petcock on the end that faces the carbs, as it is easier to run the fuel line that way. I didn't and the angle of it hitting the airbox is forcing me to drain the tank, remove the petcock and re-install the nipple. The 90 degree nipple is about 1/8" too long...it hits the tank if I try to remove it with the petcock on the tank. :-(

Tim

Comment

Thanks for the replys, fellers. Phil, you're sorely tempting me to keep fiddling with these petcocks. To quote tupperj - "geteth thee behindeth me satan" I'm with you on the expense brother, but I think this time I'm just going to bite the bullet and replace them. Still, JB Weld fix does sound interesting.....no, No, NOOOOOOOO!

Beav - thanks for verifying. As the 80 tank is the same as the 79 I think I'll give Mikes XS a little business. Probably get several of their blind plugs while I'm at it for the vacuum fittings on the carb boots - just to keep everything looking nice.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I used non vacuum petcocks from Partsmore. I actually blocked off one side and only used one petcock and a T in the fuel line. I have had no trouble. I have individual filters. If you would like me to look up the number I can. I think the petcock and the adapter for the standard tank were about $35. I am glad to be rid of the vacuum petcocks.
          Tom

Comment

A while back I put a standard tank on my special. I used MikesXS petcocks with adapters and haven't had a problem. The adapter mounts to the tank using the two stock bolts leaving a single threaded hole for the petcock. The petcocks seal with an o-ring which is something I didn't care for since, with the petcocks aligned fore-and aft, the petcock can be turned easily rather than being solid.

There were two fuel outlets, front and rear, and I ended up plugging the front and re-routing the fuel lines around the back of the air box from the rear outlets. This was much easier than cramming the fuel lines between the carbs as well as giving easy access to the line for tank removal.

Since this tank is on a sidecar rig which gets terrible mileage I can easily plumb in an aux tank to one of the front outlets. Just another procrastination project.

Rob

Comment

Rockjok - That sounds a lot like the petcocks partsnmore sells. My brother had an issue with the o-rings and the baseplate from partsnmore on his 80G. The mikesxs 20-0019 appears to be a solid unit - no ordering separate base plates. It does use an o-ring for the flang-to-tank seal, which I prefer over a gasket. I got an e-mail from them this morning and they say the mounting holes are 46mm center-to-center like they're supposed to be. I replaced the stock airbox with pods, so hopfully I won't have issues with fuel line routing. Is the 20-0019 the same model you used, or was it the kind with the round tower that goes inside the tank?

Comment

I think that Pingel petcocks are the thing to get.A little pricey but definitely worth it!If they fail they offer a rebuild service.
                1980 XS1100 SG
                Inline fuel filters
                New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                160 mph speedometer mod
                Kerker Exhaust
                xschop K & N air filter setup
                Dynojet Recalibration kit
                1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

I gave up on petcock rebuilding and bough 2 new factory units. They work great and I can now put THAT issue behind me. I am sure the rebuild kits work great if done on time as part of regular maintenance but after a bike sits for 8 - 10 years, and the gasket seats get messed up ... I don't think so.
                  Rob
                  KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                  1978 XS500E
                  1979 XS1100F Restored
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  1981 Suzuki GS1100
                  1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                  1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I too, like 79XS11F, bit the bullet and used two factory replacements on my 80 G. The problem I had was finding the wavy washers along with all of the parts necessary to rebuild and being 100% sure of no leaks meant spending about 40 bucks. The factory replacements went on and no leaks. Of course the factory replacements cost twice as much but the vacuum works flawless.

Comment

Originally posted by boyat68
                      I too, like 79XS11F, bit the bullet and used two factory replacements on my 80 G. The problem I had was finding the wavy washers along with all of the parts necessary to rebuild and being 100% sure of no leaks meant spending about 40 bucks. The factory replacements went on and no leaks. Of course the factory replacements cost twice as much but the vacuum works flawless.
                      Between rebuilt kits and buying what "looked" like good used units I likely had spent close to the cost of new petcocks before I bit the bullet. I was DONE throwing good money at repairing this problem. I ended up get both the right and left units at about 30% less the from a shop.
                      Rob
                      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                      1978 XS500E
                      1979 XS1100F Restored
                      1980 XS1100 SG
                      1981 Suzuki GS1100
                      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

MikesXS 20-0019 Petcocks

Has anyone bought a couple of the 20-0019 petcocks from MikesXS and for one reason or another they won't work for you. If so I am on the prowl for a pair of these and want to buy a couple.
                        79 SF ; 77 XS650D

Comment

The K&L petcock rebuild kits will not fit right unless you modify the diaphragm housing by surface sanding it down. Some of the plungers are slightly shorter than stock. I sand the lever on a plate of glass also in figure 8's until it's uniform in color.

The credit for this goes to long time XS1100 mechanic Bruce Roggy of Merriam Cycle. He always bench tested them and if they still would not hold he'd sand the spacer block down more to narrow it.
                          "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

I'm at the end of season two with the partsnmore valves and I'm happy as a clam
                            '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Pingel

Originally posted by oldyam80sg View Post
                              I think that Pingel petcocks are the thing to get.A little pricey but definitely worth it!If they fail they offer a rebuild service.
                              Which ones did you get from Pingel? I'm looking at replacing mine as well ... Filter and all. Also seriously thinking about buying new carbs as well. I think I hear everyone referring the C33's if I remember correctly.
                              ~Jay
                              Guilty Ones M.C.
                              Manassas, Va.

1980 Standard G
                              2001 CBR 929RR

Comment

Working...
                              X