Diagram?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diagram?

Could some one post or point me in the direction of a diagram of the front brake hose routing from the MC to the splitter on a 79XSF? It is the one with the spring on it. Has anyone exchanged this one for a shorter one?

Thanks,

Paul
    Paul
    1983 XJ1100 Maxim
    1979 XS1100 Standard
    1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

I'm not sure mine is the "stock" way but it goes from the master cylinder forward and down into the great big open space between the forks/headlight/headlight ears, and gauge cluster. From there it goes mostly straight down and into the splitter right behind the Y on the Yamaha badge.

Realistically it shouldn't matter how you route it as long as its not pinched, because handlebars, gauges, forks, master cylinder, splitter, and calipers all move together. Its not like a throttle or clutch cable where one end moves and the other doesn't.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

The hose from the mc to the splitter on mine seems way too long. Do I have to loop it to take up some slack or something? I can't remember how it was when I stipped the bike last year.
      Paul
      1983 XJ1100 Maxim
      1979 XS1100 Standard
      1980 XS1100 Special

Comment

Mine doesn't loop, but its got plenty of slack. You can kind of see it in This Photo

Simplest things first:
        Are you sure you've not mixed up one of the longer lines from the splitter to the calipers with the shorter one from the master to the splitter?

Do you have the stock buck horn handle bars? If you don't the distance could be significantly different.

Is the master cylinder in the proper place on the handle bars? I can only assume you've got it out by the grip but you never know.
        1979 xs1100 Special -
        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
        My Bike:
        [link is broken]

Comment

No, I'm sure I have the right line in the right place. I have changed the bars but they are very similar in width and pull back as the buck horns. Brake master is where it belongs. I'll snap a pic tonight to show you.
          Paul
          1983 XJ1100 Maxim
          1979 XS1100 Standard
          1980 XS1100 Special

Comment

You don't have multiple bike parts lying around do you? None of my lines have a spring on them, and looking at some other photos of sf's I don't see any springs either.

Maybe a PO replaced the line with something that was "on hand" and had it routed differently to take up the slack.

I'm sure you've noticed that if you do decide to replace that line with a shorter one the stainless steel lines are highly recommended by others. I don't have them but they are on my upgrade list.
            1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
            [link is broken]

Comment

I do have some spares as I was thinking about changing it out. You could be right, this on was on the bike when I bought it, could be the wrong one!
              Paul
              1983 XJ1100 Maxim
              1979 XS1100 Standard
              1980 XS1100 Special

Comment

FYI, My stock one is roughly 20" long. Might be a touch shorter.
                1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                [link is broken]

Comment

Thanks Psychoreefer!

You were right, found the right hose in a box of parts that came with the bike. The one that's on it is the one I took off so I'm not sure why it was changed?

Cheers,

Paul
                  Paul
                  1983 XJ1100 Maxim
                  1979 XS1100 Standard
                  1980 XS1100 Special

Comment

Working...
                  X