are cherry bombs legal??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are cherry bombs legal??

i'm almost done with the xs11 chop (been a while, i had to complete a cafe and streetfighter too). just painted everything today, wetsand tomarrow. busted my muffler off last weekend doing some hard riding (actually went riding with rough riders clubs, had to be 100 crotch rockets, all flying 140+, and kept up with em). I was planning on doing my rear rim red with a whitewall tire, i was woundering if it was legal for me to put a set of red chery bombs on, i think it would complete the bobber look. I rode most the week with the one muffler off anyways and loved the sound and response. Can i slap them on and pass inspection (ny dmv). Cant see why not, half the harleys are louder.

the thought has crossed my mind before. There are times when I like it quiet. There are also times when I like it loud.
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

Comment

something like this, or the turn outs

http://static.kickapps.com/kickapps/...62169_main.jpg

http://bp2.blogger.com/_jsHIajLmnh8/...6G4ngQE/s1600/

Comment

I think you can get away with it. It does have baffles, and i know a few guys have done it on their 850's.

Comment

Depends on your states regulations on how loud the exhuast can be, you should be able to find out with a quick google search.
          1979 XS1100 SF (production number 572)
          1972 Kawasaki g4 TR-B with high and low transmision
          1974 kawasaki G4
          2003 Polaris 250 Trailblazer
          1975 Yamaha Enduro 175

Comment

My understanding of NY laws is that the exhaust is supposed to be what comes stock with the bike.

With that said, based on the number of straight piped rigs I've seen cruising around in NYS, apparently that isn't enforced very strongly, or the mufflers are swapped just before the inspection, or the bikes are not inspected at all.

I do know they are fussy about stock pipes at Americade and the local constabulary makes a reasonable haul from spot inspections during that week....

If the above understanding applies, I will have a problem with my G in NY as I have Road King pipes on mine (they were new, I got them for free, I'm not a man to refuse a gift). But, they are quiet (I prefer quiet), so unless I get stopped for something else, I doubt I will see any harassment for it.
            BobE
            Richmond, RI
            1980 XS1100G - "The Old Coot"

PREVIOUS RIDES
            2005 Venture, 1993 Venture, 1983 Venture
            1978 Gold Wing, 1983 Gold Wing
            1975 CB500T, 1983 Husqvarna 250WR
            1981 XL500, 1975 CB750K5
            1981 CB900F, 1965 C200 (Honda 90)
            1968 Powell Challenger (Hairy-Chested Mini-bike)

Comment

theres an inspection place around the corner, i'll stop in and ask them. but i dont see why not, even with the broke muffler thats off, it's not "that loud", a little more if not hte same as most stock harleys i would guess. so it should be even quieter with the cherry bombs, but still have that deep tone.

Comment

The Harleys that are truly stock that I've heard are pretty quiet. My definition of quiet may be different than yours. Mine basically says that if I can talk in normal tones to the rider while standing next to them and I can hear them responding without having to yell or speak up is quiet. Also in my case I am totally deaf in one ear and partially deaf in the other ear.

My Road King mufflers came from a dealer who has a stockpile of them because many new Harley buyers have the dealers remove the mufflers that came with the bike and put on aftermarket ones before the bike is even delivered. Many dealers just give the new old mufflers away for the asking or trash them.

Easy way to tell is the Harley mufflers have a set of language stamped right into the muffler defining which models the muffler is designed for and stating it is a GEN-YOOO-WINE Harley muffler.
                Last edited by BobE; 07-31-2008, 04:08 PM.
                BobE
                Richmond, RI
                1980 XS1100G - "The Old Coot"

PREVIOUS RIDES
                2005 Venture, 1993 Venture, 1983 Venture
                1978 Gold Wing, 1983 Gold Wing
                1975 CB500T, 1983 Husqvarna 250WR
                1981 XL500, 1975 CB750K5
                1981 CB900F, 1965 C200 (Honda 90)
                1968 Powell Challenger (Hairy-Chested Mini-bike)

Comment

i plan on puting a set of glasspacks on my 79f. just a fyi jcwhitney has some that are 1 3/4in inlet for 25 bux. that should be easier to mount up then a 2in one. they are unpainted tho.

if u do put them on let me know how it sounds. im wanting loud but not strait pipe loud.
                  79 xs1100f- standard- $50.00 runner

Comment

they got the chery bombs and other glass pack manufacturers on ebay for like 20 bucks, already heat coded red, or stainless, even chrome, in just about anysize from 1 7/8 - 3 inch and all in between. I'm thinking of the chery bomb turn outs, i think it will complete hte look. I see pics of them, but havnt found them for sale anywhere yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X