Standard tank on special frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard tank on special frame?

I've got a 1979 Special, but found a nice $20 standard tank I can buy off someone (and no, I will not reveal my source at this time.)

The standard has more than the 3.6 gallons I can get out of mine before I go to reserves, right? I was going to paint it anyway, and I like the look of the standard better. So I was wondering what issues there might be with this. Anyone know? I am not sure of the year of the tank.

The tank will bolt on. You will need Standard petcocks. You will have to reroute your fuel lines and vacuum lines because the functionality of the octopus (remove it) is built into the petcocks.

Your Special seat will be snug up against the back of the tank and a little tough to install the seat.

You will also need to run an overflow vent hose from the tank to below the frame.
    DZ
    Vyger, 'F'
    "The Special", 'SF'
    '08 FJR1300

Comment

I am putting a standard tank on mine see!!!

1979 XS1100 SF "Black Goblin"
      -Pod Filters
      -4-1 pipe
      -larger jets for carbs
      1982 XJ1100 "Black Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by Dennyz
        The tank will bolt on. You will need Standard petcocks. You will have to reroute your fuel lines and vacuum lines because the functionality of the octopus (remove it) is built into the petcocks.

Your Special seat will be snug up against the back of the tank and a little tough to install the seat.

You will also need to run an overflow vent hose from the tank to below the frame.
        yes to alll of the above. I also had to remove yellow reflectors from the sides of the special frame (near the bottom front of the tank.) Also the petcocks can cost MUCH more than the tank you are considering.
        It is a great big beautiful world out there
        Brent in GA
        Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Originally posted by Dennyz

You will need Standard petcocks
          I take that the special petcocks will not bolt into the standard tanks?
          Ernie
          79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
          (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

"I take that the special petcocks will not bolt into the standard tanks?"

Nope. Not without an adapter plate of some sort. While certain adapters are available at MikesXS, I'm uncertain about one that would convert the two types of XS ones.
            80G Mini-bagger
            VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
            79SF eventually dismantled for parts
            79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
            79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
            79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Thanks, wiz
              Ernie

Comment

well, dang, someone bought it. I should have bought it when I had the forst offer, and the cash. My fault for delaying. But now I know something.

One thing I was surprised at - went to my local Yami dealer today and they have plenty of original parts for good prices. Nice.

Comment

Genius - sweet lookin' tank. Did you primer it yourself, or did it come that way?
                  I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Standard tank on ebay, item no. 140253009351, starting 49.99 buy now 70.00
                    Ernie

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee
                      Genius - sweet lookin' tank. Did you primer it yourself, or did it come that way?

it came in the original maroon i stripped it, bead blasted it, filled the emblems and little dents that there were and primered....
                      -Pod Filters
                      -4-1 pipe
                      -larger jets for carbs

Comment

Hey, Genious ...

Just curoius, did you remove the emblem brakets before ya filled 'em in?
                        80G Mini-bagger
                        VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                        79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                        79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                        79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                        79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

no, i fugured it would be a goog ancor for the filler, so i packed it in all around and behind to insure there was no air.
                          -Pod Filters
                          -4-1 pipe
                          -larger jets for carbs

Comment

Hi Dennyz,
                            your Special seat may have been "a little tough" to install with a Standard tank but mine would not engage the front hold-down tongue at all. I had to trim 5/8" off the front of it before it would engage properly.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                            X