4th Gear Shift Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th Gear Shift Problem

I just bought this very clean and excellent running 79 SF and I am having a shifting problem from 3rd to fourth when under a load, not speed shifting, lets just say getting on it a bit. It actually gets to a spot in between gears.
    So I performed the search on Trannys and see that 4th and 1st are linked. I also read about the shift pins, if only it can be this simple. I also read the post on the fix requiring the bike being turned upside down and taking the trans apart. Where should I start here gang??
    It shifts fine when just cruising!

Thanks
    Ron

These bikes have some clunky transmissions at times. You need to be farely aggressive when you shift.. a soft tap will put them into a false neutral sometimes.

You don't need to pull the tranny apart unless first gear is skipping. It will feel like you're sitting on a machine gun rapidly kicking in and out of gear. Although you could have a worn shift fork tab or shift drum on 4th gear. I'd look for that if it's bad enough for you to feel the need to tear into it. You can do the 1st and 2nd gear Dremmel fix while you're in there..

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, It only has 10,000 on it and it appears to be pretty well cared for. I am going to keep riding until it begins to act up a bit more. I shouldnt be driving it like a sport bike anyway, but I hate for all that power going to waste.

Comment

Well,

It's officially a sport cruiser... so cruise on it sometimes, and blow the cobwebs out of it AND you on other times. I figure if you were supposed to cruise on it the majority of the time, they would have called it a cruiser sport wouldn't they??

Ride it how you want to... that's what it was designed for. Can't have that nasty old carbon building up in it!! lol. If it breaks... fix it, jump on it, and ride it until it breaks again. Or is that just MY motto?

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

The harder I run mine the better it runs. I mean does it get any better than that.
          http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

Working...
          X