Stinky Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stinky Bike

Ok, you may laugh, and I feel silly asking, but here goes. I have a 78 XS1100E that runs great, so it's hard to complain. My problem is, After I ride it, my clothes smell like I've been pumping gas all day, or working on the engine. I tried riding without clothes, buit people just laughed. I don't see any oil leaks, can't find an exhaust leak, and the gas overflow is dry, even though the gasked is starting to crack. Is this normal? Any ideas? Help would be appreciated, especially by my wife and co-workers.
    Stinky
    RickMc
    <ricks.mailbox@charter.net>
    1978 XS1100E

Rick - are you sure you're not getting a little gas leak around the carbs or petcocks? Sometimes you can get a little leak when the motors under a load that isn't immediately apparent at no load. Check around the gas cap too. The seal can go bad allowing gas to slosh into the overflow area and blow back on you. Easy enough to tell if that's the problem - just open the gas cap and see if it's wet around the outside of the filler neck. If you're smelling like gas, either your leaking some gas somewhere, or the cage in front of you is
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Stinky

The problem is that you live in the "DRY SH*TYS" my friend!

I know, I lived there for 22 years.

Larry
      Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
      http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
      82 XJ1100
      80 XS1100G (Project bike)
      64 Yamaha YA-6
      77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
      See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

r u running pods?
        or have the case vent hose disconnected from the airbox?
        pete

new owner of
        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
        zrx carbs
        18mm float height
        145 main jets
        38 pilots
        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Stinky Bike

I have a stock air cleaner. I believe all hoses are connected and in good shape. When you walk bu the bike, you can smell gas also. I'm thinking more about the gas cap as part of it. There is something down low also cause my jeans smell too. Wherre can you get replacement gaskets for the gas cap?
          RickMc
          1978 XS1100E

Comment

check your hoses over. A cracked fuel line near the petcocks and/or Octopus (on a special) will only leak while the motor is running because of the vacuum shutoff.

Leaking petcock(s) could be another possibility.
            DZ
            Vyger, 'F'
            "The Special", 'SF'
            '08 FJR1300

Comment

Rick - I got one for mine from MikesXS based on advice from a previous thread. I haven't actually put it on yet, as I found out what whas causing my problem was a break in the overflow tube down inside the tank allowing gas to get sucked up through the top. The seal that I have is the Mikes XS part #20-0036. Sure looks like it will fit, but again, haven't installed yet. You'll have to take the tank vent apart to get it on, so it's a good opportunity to make sure that puppy's clean. If the vent's plugged and the seal is bad, and you replace the seal, you could wind up starving for gas to the vacuum created inside the tank. I've been looking high and low for Arm and Hammer Washing Soda so I can setup a little electrolysis bucket to derust the whole thing when I do mine.

P.S. I just looked at the beginning of the thread again, and you say the overflow is dry. I'm thinkin' Denny Zander's got the right idea lookin' down low - especially if that's where you're getting smelly. I don't have a special, so I don't have to deal with octopi, but I understand that they're more trouble than they're worth.
              Last edited by dbeardslee; 07-27-2008, 11:14 AM.
              I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Stinky Bike

Thanks to all for the great advice. I'll go out and check it out. A suggestion for your rusty tank, I had rust in my tanks too. I did the electrolosis clean and it worked great. Next day, I had rust again. So I ran it again, (learn kinda slow). Same results. Then I got a tip about phosporic acid, the stuff used in Kreme's kit. I found a product at Lowes that had phosphoric acid and flushed the tank with it. Wow, it worked great and didn't rust back up. Turns out, phosporic acid seals itself. Lowes doesn't carry that product anymore, but I'm sure if you look around, you can find something else with phosporic acid in it. I used MEK paint thinner to dry the tank, again, like Kreme, but you gotta be real careful about your paint with that stuff. It's been a year now and the tank is still clean. Thanks again.
                RickMc
                1978 XS1100E

Comment

Working...
                X