Windjammer mtg bracket bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windjammer mtg bracket bolts

On the '82 XJ1100 there are 2 holes on the front frame downtubes...in the vicinity of where the horns are...does anyone know what size metric bolts fit?The mounting bracket is to attach to the frame with these 2 bolts and then 2 hose clamps attatching the lower portion of the bracket to the frame.
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

I'm pretty sure they're the standard 10mm bolts. I know that when I mounted one the last time, I used bolts out of my junk box.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Thanks Geezer...
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I've found there is a little play in the bolt holes of the bracket that allows you to adjust the fairing height and angle to match the lines of the bike better if you use Allen or Torx headed bolts to allow for more room, especially if you are also mounting an oil cooler bracket to the same holes. I've also found that I like the original Venturer bracket over the Windjammer bracket, because it bolts to the frame instead of using clamps, and sandwiches the fairing between the halves of the bracket, which eliminates vibration of the fairing better then the Windjammer bracket.
        Fastmover
        "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
        lion". SHL
        78 XS1100e

Comment

Originally posted by wa407mpp
          I've found there is a little play in the bolt holes of the bracket that allows you to adjust the fairing height and angle to match the lines of the bike better if you use Allen or Torx headed bolts to allow for more room, especially if you are also mounting an oil cooler bracket to the same holes. I've also found that I like the original Venturer bracket over the Windjammer bracket, because it bolts to the frame instead of using clamps, and sandwiches the fairing between the halves of the bracket, which eliminates vibration of the fairing better then the Windjammer bracket.
          So these are 10mm?It should be noted that a piece of foam rubber cut to size should fit onto the part of the bracket that attatches to the fairing.This dampens vibration and makes a tighter fit.
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Ben They are M10-1.25 about a inch long helped Marty A with the same question a few years back .
            Madbiker

Comment

Originally posted by wa407mpp
              I've also found that I like the original Venturer bracket over the Windjammer bracket, because it bolts to the frame instead of using clamps, and sandwiches the fairing between the halves of the bracket, which eliminates vibration of the fairing better then the Windjammer bracket.
              Did you have any problem mounting a windjammer to the Venturer bracket? I have an early Yamaha tour pack bracket and I was thinking about trying to use it to mount a Quicksilver on my 79 Standard. It's still burred somewhere from the move and I hope to trip over it soon...

Geezer

Comment

The Quicksilver is a smaller fairing then the Windjammer so you will have to do more adapting then I did, but I think it can be easily be done, with a nip here and a tuck there, this bracket can be adapted to just about any fairing. On the Windjammer The bottom bracket was a direct bolt on, but I had to cut about an inch off the rear of the top bracket, drill new holes for the bolts and add some spacers to the front bolts, because the Ventuerer fairing mounts at a sharper angle then the Windjammer and I didn't have to use the center shock bolt, though it could be adapted to work, but I don't think it is needed. This winter I will cut and re-weld the top bracket at a different angle so I can ditch the spacers, but for now this gets me on the road again. If you bolt both brackets on the bike and slide the fairing between them you will see what has to be done. If you bend the bottom bracket down in the back you won't need the spacers, but may have to remove the fairing to change plugs, and I didn't like the angle it was sitting, in relation to the tank and seat lines. I could have bought a nos Windjammer bracket from a local source, but I like the Ventuerer bracket better because it bolts to the frame and the steering head and doesn't use hose clamps that can loosen up and slip or allow vibration which will eventually cause the fairing to crack, or cause the bike to shake at speed. I know by now there are some Windjammer owners who are starting to get mad because they think I'm slandering their brackets, but I'm not, the Windjammer style bracket is a good universal design adaptable to fit all bikes and the Ventuerer bracket was make for one bike and the bike was prepared at the factory for it, so it's really just apples and oranges.
                Fastmover
                "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
                lion". SHL
                78 XS1100e

Comment

I have both the Venturer and a Vetter Windjammer bracket, I'll have to try them both when I'm ready to mount this faring. One thing I know for sure is that I don't want to ride behind a big faring all the time.

Geezer

Comment

Originally posted by madbiker
                    Ben They are M10-1.25 about a inch long helped Marty A with the same question a few years back .
                    Madbiker
                    Thanks Ralph!
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                    X